• Members

i have a peavey cs800 power amp rated at 400 watts per channel at 4 ohms,can i run the amp in stereo with a 16 ohms load per channel?,what im trying to do is power 4 hf drivers with an 8 ohms impedance on each and rated at 90 watts peak,the 16 ohms load to the amp would give me about 100 watts per channel but im not sure, can anybody answer this? please?

• Members

Yes this is is fine, assuming you are really running 2 drivers in SERIES per channel with appropriate crossover.

When I see DJ in your name, I must qualify all my answers due to past history with the general DJ mentality.

The amp will deliver approx. 140 watts per channel into 16 ohms though and your drivers with their "peak" rating make me wonder if they are of the 10 watt variety.

What are the drivers, what crossover frequency, slope etc???

• Members

I can see this is going to be a bad experience all the way around. Might I suggest getting something more appropriate for power? PV 2.6C, Usa400, RMX850 (still too big). You're going to be overpowering in just about all scenarios. Back off the HF output to the amp on the crossover. I can't really give any advice more than that.

• Members

For those who know what they are doing ... Peavey recommends using than amp that can put out the peak (160W) rating of the driver in bi-amped setups.

In normal use this works fine as there is very little continuous energy in the band that they will be operating. You can toast the drivers quickly if you screw up however.

Do your cabs have the sonic guards installed? That adds a lot of protection. If you were using a VSX 26 for the x-over and used a factory preset then youe amp would be fine without hooking the drivers in series. To me the series connection is a bigger risk than the amount of "possible" power.

Archived