EQ question?

• Members

What frequency would you say that a kick drum dominates? from 125hz and down. Our drummer added a dedicated drum amp to his e-kit I think he probably boosted the kick drum eq to compensate for the lack of low end on the Yamaha Club. He claims he didn't but I know better, I'm guessing he was trying to compete with the NX750p I was using for his drum wedge and the Yamaha aint doing it. If I back off on the sub out on the

x-over I lose a lot of my low end reinforcement which isn't a bad thing just sounds to thin if ya no what I mean. Problem I encounter this past weekend was I couldn't get my normal SPL without low end FB coming from the FOH only. I'm using a pair of LS700p's for subs. Had a lot of folks plus the owner tell me that we were quite compare to all the previous gigs (every other weekend we're a house band). I figured I need to compensate on the FOH eq (PV dual 215) and cut maybe 80hz and down more to make up the difference. My standard procedure is a reference CD and eq to the room and I'm good to go, but since he added the Yamaha Club and a Macikie amp I know he boosted the kick eq to make up the difference. Instead of arguing and fighting over his hands off the V drum rule he has. I would just try to eq to compensate. What ya think? I know it won't fix the whacked sound we'll probably get but hell most of the crowd so stinking drunk they aint gonna know and don't give a {censored} as long as we don't trainwreck we're good to go. :lol:

• Members

The kick thump that you feel in your chest is at 63. If i have a kick that sounds kind of dead or whatnot I'll usually boost the 63 and 3k a little to get the thump and a little high end click from the head. Most anything below that is what you'll feel but not really hear much at all if any. You can also cut a little of the low mid to get rid of a boxy sound.

• Members

The kick thump that you feel in your chest is at 63. If i have a kick that sounds kind of dead or whatnot I'll usually boost the 63 and 3k a little to get the thump and a little high end click from the head. Most anything below that is what you'll feel but not really hear much at all if any. You can also cut a little of the low mid to get rid of a boxy sound.

Cool thanks :thu: I don't need a boost I need a cut. I know the drummer boosted his kick eq in his drum module but won't admit to it. I need a reference point to start from that way I can get our SPL back to a standard norm without the FOH subs feedbacking.

• Members

How the hell are you getting feedback from electric drums?

Was thinking the same thing.

63Hz huh... I kind of think it depends on a lot of things, including the size of the drum, the substantialness of the PA, mic type and technique etc.

I would look at the 60-100Hz range for the smack but the deep thud is probably between 35 and 60 Hz. No exact number. You need to know what the system is doing overall before applying a correction.

• Members

How the hell are you getting feedback from electric drums?

I'm guessing since he boosted the kick drum eq on his drum module and adding the Yamaha Club, which caused our stage volume to rise up, I'm guessing the stage mics might be picking up the kick. I'm puzzled too :confused:

• Members

On our drum I find the chest hit to be more around 80hz. I would think it would depend on the drum and the mic to some degree, but which comes first, the drum thump or the chest cavity resonance? The chicken or the egg? Maybe it depends on how much meat you're packing around or whether they are natural or store bought for the female punters.:lol:

Winston

• Members

If you are getting feedback it's not coming from the electronic drums so it's gotta be vocal mics. (you are usually modelers right? If not could be guitar mics).

Try raising the HPF on the vocal channels some to get rid of the feedback. If that works and the kick sounds ok you can just leave it as is.

• Members

No amp modelers and no HPF on the channel strip, old school mixer just mid sweep. Problem was the drummer didn't relaized that I wired the Yamaha post fade aux send so when he eq-ed he also was eqing the FOH which probably cause a whacked out FOH sub mix. One of the down side of mixing on stage. Then having a singer that doesn't notice you have FOH problems, doesn't help matters either esp when he never comes on stage and stays out in the listning zone.:facepalm:

• Members

Was thinking the same thing.

63Hz huh... I kind of think it depends on a lot of things, including the size of the drum, the substantialness of the PA, mic type and technique etc.

I would look at the 60-100Hz range for the smack but the deep thud is probably between 35 and 60 Hz. No exact number. You need to know what the system is doing overall before applying a correction.

I agree that a lot of variables come into play. Since I'm working with different bands all the time (albeit in the same room) those are the frequencies that I've found worked best. But they've also seemed to work best over the years with different bands I've done in a bunch of different rooms.

The 63 was always what I could feel in the chest as a good attack, below that is the good boom that you feel down there that makes the ground shake.

I know it's not always that way it's just what I've experienced the most and has been a good starting point for others I've helped.

• Members

I start with the channel EQ flat, usually end up boosting a little around 90 ish (I assign the boost and sweep the low freq control {on a board with a sweepable low or low-mid section}. usually around 90

Anything too low and it sounds really boomy and phat, but not much like a kick drum to me.

I usually give a slight boost between 1K and 3K, depending on how the drum set is tuned, and the type of music being played. Some heavier bands do well with a little higher boost for the 'CLick' part of the kick sound.

I try to remain as close to flat as possible, so I'm not boosting the crap out of anything. My system is normally set up so that getting a natural sound is pretty easy

Archived