Guitar Wireless Systems

• Members

I think i want a new one....i have a digi reference $250 system...It works awesome but i think I want to try something else.

What do you prefer or have had good experience with?

...not really looking for a rack setup either

• Members

I have the Line 6 X2 XDS95, it works great. It doesn't affect tone, and I get good range. At our last gig I chased the conga line around the bar and got a good 100 feet from the stage with no problems. It does go through the batteries though, I get about 4 hours out of a fresh 9V.

• Members

I've been using my XDS-Plus for bass, since February. Not a single hiccup, and my low B string sounds far better than with my old Nady UHF wireless system. That thing sucked all the life out of the low end and I compensated with EQing so much. Now with this X2 system, there's no difference that my ears can hear between cable and wireless.

XDS-Plus all the way. I'm converting fellow musicians at every gig once they see me run across the bar without a single drop-out or noisy pop.

• Members

We did a little shootout at work last year for guitar wireless, and the Sennheiser 300 G2 stuff won... even over the top-of-the-line Shure UHF-R. Of course we were limited to the stuff we had on hand, which was a couple flavors of Sennheiser and a couple flavors of Shure, and none of that is cheaper than around $500.

• Members

I'm looking into the XDS-Plus... any first-hand experience?

don't mean to hi-jack... it is after all a thread about wireless systems..
:p

Yeah, for a non-racked wireless, they're the best available in their price range, IMO... I've used them a few times with excellent results - and have been gigging an XDR-95 for about a year and a half now, and it's worked quite well for this bassist that uses a low B...

- georgestrings

• Members

We did a little shootout at work last year for guitar wireless ...

I'm curious ... did you run them into high gain guitar amps when testing. Did your test include any digital units? Analog units are awfully hissy.

• Members

The AT-5000 units I use are VERY quiet. The 3000 unit I set up for a customer's bass is also very quiet. The Shure UHF series isn't quite as quiet. Don't forget that the signal level into the transmitter must be adjusted down generally because the level is close to line level for many of the active pickups. Watch out for overload.

IIRC, the Audio Technica 1200 VHF unit was a favorite years back for the same reason.

The same can not be said for many of the cheaper analog units though.

• Members

Don't forget that the signal level into the transmitter must be adjusted down generally because the level is close to line level for many of the active pickups. Watch out for overload.

Yep! And when you set it down so you don't overload you get even more noise. You can't have it both ways.

Analog FM is only capable of about 75 dB SN. To get beyond that you have to start resorting to companders and gates and those screw with your tone and dynamics. Plugging into a dime'd guitar amp is WAY different than into a mixer.

• Members

Good (well tracking) and quiet companders are not all that difficult to design well. They are done all the time with VCA's. Console VCA's achieve greater than 100dB S/N and cost only a few dollars. The raw gain is not an issue either, trimming the transmitter audio down isn't a problem either, the noise still is baselined on the companded modulated-demodulated signal which can be >90dB on any quality unit.

Note that the receiver must be padded to instrument input raqther than just turned down at the AF level trim due to the line driver sitting post volume. This is a source of noise outside the FM loop.

• Members

the noise still is baselined on the companded modulated-demodulated signal which can be >90dB on any quality unit.

So I make it that >115dB is about 25 dB better (hint, hint ;)) ... and no compander (which I can easily hear on >$2K analog units)

• Members

I'm curious ... did you run them into high gain guitar amps when testing. Did your test include any digital units? Analog units are awfully hissy.

We tested:

Bass guitar - all the units sounded good

Clean guitar - all the units sounded good

Distorted guitar (receiver into distortion pedal into amp) - Sennheiser G2 had a much lower noise floor than Shure. Huge difference.

A later session fooling around with SMAART showed that the big difference between the X2 wireless and all the analog stuff was that the X2 went from very low frequencies (20Hz?) while the analog units pooped out below 40-50Hz, while the X2 dropped out pretty quickly on the high end. So the X2 would be good for bass, not so great for guitar.

• Members

We tested:

Bass guitar - all the units sounded good

Clean guitar - all the units sounded good

Distorted guitar (receiver into distortion pedal into amp) - Sennheiser G2 had a much lower noise floor than Shure. Huge difference.

A later session fooling around with SMAART showed that the big difference between the X2 wireless and all the analog stuff was that the X2 went from very low frequencies (20Hz?) while the analog units pooped out below 40-50Hz, while the X2 dropped out pretty quickly on the high end. So the X2 would be good for bass, not so great for guitar.

The X2 claims to reproduce up to 12kHz, which is well above what any electric guitar amp will produce.

• Members

^^^Agreed, my X2 has no problem with the high end. Every so often I get up around the 23rd/24th frets on a solo, and I notice no difference between it and using a cable. I'm not a "tone snob", but I care about my sound and wouldn't use it if there were any negative effects.

• Members

Right.

In "guitar" mode there is a roll off that simulates the response of a guitar cable, hence the 12k limit. The transmitter itself when used in "line" or "mic" mode is flat all the way out (of course in mic mode you are limited by the mic ... but not the transmitter)

Archived