Ever Have "One of Those Days?"

• Members

:facepalm:

I was asked by a good friend (I would do nearly anything for her or her husband) to bring the trailer by and set up and run sound for a local Christian Rock band. Two 1x18 EV subs, two 1x15 EV tops, five monitors (two mixes), mike all instruments...nothing unusual. Relative simple set up. One guitarist had a Peavey tube amp with a line out, so I popped in a short cord into a DI into the board - sounded good, and I had good control of him all night long. The other guitarist had just bought an Orange Tiny Terror combo, no output, so I had to mike him. Bass, drums, keys, vocals...no problem. They played a song so I could get a sound check.

It was TERRIBLE!!! No clarity at all. I bumped up the vocals, down the guitars, up the bass, down the kick, etc., to no avail. It was mud. ALL mud, all the time. They played a second song, as I was not through "adjusting."

There were about ten kids sitting 40' in front of the bandstand, and I knew four of 'em, so I decided "what the heck?" and asked them what else I needed to do.

"Nothing! It sounds wonderful!"

"This is the BEST I have ever heard [this band]."

"Sounds GREAT!"

:facepalm:

I let it go, but I was not happy. But apparently the kids were (about 100), as they sang the words along with the band on several songs and jumped up and down as they played. I got nothing but compliments. :facepalm: But I knew better. It was "grunge-type" music, but, geez! No clarity at all. I believe that the stage volume was so high on the Tiny Terror that is was bleeding into the mikes all night long, and there was no turning him down.

I am getting old.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

• Members

My mother cooked the best fried chicken that I have ever tasted. Everyone that ever tasted it agreed. She hasn't cooked in 20 years (she is almost 90 now) and we still talk about it. The odd part is that she is vegetarian and never tasted it herself.

The moral is that it isn't always what we like that matters most. Sometimes we have a talent for something that we see as useless and others see as special. You may do that music well, even though you hate the way it sounds.

Archived