Monitors - JBL JRX 112M or Yamaha SM 12V Club

• Members

Hello,

Thinking of buying a pair of JBL JRX 112M or Yamaha SM 12V Clubs and running them with a QSC GX5 amp. Also, would any of you recommend a Behringer powered monitor?

The Prx monitors are out of the question, too expensive. Thanks for the help.

• Members

Thanks for the info. I read somewhere that the power amps have to be at least twice the program handling of the speaker. If the Yamaha's program is 350 watts, wouldn't the GX3 be cutting it short at 300 watts at 8 ohms? Just curious.

Thanks.

• CMS Author

Thanks for the info. I read somewhere that the power amps have to be at least twice the program handling of the speaker. If the Yamaha's program is 350 watts, wouldn't the GX3 be cutting it short at 300 watts at 8 ohms? Just curious.

Thanks.

NO!!!

Power handling is often published in three ways:

RMS or "continuous" power.

Program power.

Peak.

All three actually roughly represent the same thing, and the relationship is also roughly: rms x 2 = program. program x 2 = peak. Thus rms x4 = peak. So a 75w rms speaker is also a 150w program speaker or a 300w peak speaker.

While you will often read recommendations for using double the RMS power (NOT double the program power!) this is only safe if the conditions of use are well understood, certain precautions are taken, and the risk of replacing blown drivers is acceptable. If you can't afford the PRX, you probably also can't easily afford to replace whatever you buy if you damage it.

The safest route for a beginner is to use the RMS rating (1/2 of program if RMS isn't given, as with Yamaha). Note that doubling power does NOT double sound output....you need about 10 times the power to double apparent volume. So adding power only benefits the sales guy's commission, which is why they will pound you with warnings about "overpowering" (which is utter bull{censored}) your speakers and how bad that is.

You'll be fine using the GX3 with the SM12V. Don't try to drive the snot out of them.

• Members

NO!!!

Power handling is often published in three ways:

RMS or "continuous" power.

Program power.

Peak.

All three actually roughly represent the same thing, and the relationship is also roughly: rms x 2 = program. program x 2 = peak. Thus rms x4 = peak. So a 75w rms speaker is also a 150w program speaker or a 300w peak speaker.

While you will often read recommendations for using double the RMS power (NOT double the program power!) this is only safe if the conditions of use are well understood, certain precautions are taken, and the risk of replacing blown drivers is acceptable. If you can't afford the PRX, you probably also can't easily afford to replace whatever you buy if you damage it.

The safest route for a beginner is to use the RMS rating (1/2 of program if RMS isn't given, as with Yamaha). Note that doubling power does NOT double sound output....you need about 10 times the power to double apparent volume. So adding power only benefits the sales guy's commission, which is why they will pound you with warnings about "overpowering" (which is utter bull{censored}) your speakers and how bad that is.

You'll be fine using the GX3 with the SM12V. Don't try to drive the snot out of them.

On behalf of all us new guys, thanks for such a clear, concise explanation of cab and power output compatibility.

• Members

Better than clubs are the Yamaha CM115V series, these are for install and use a lineX type finish, full face grill and all the same guts as the SM115V. All the club series models can be had this way.

:thu:That's the model we have. Perfect for floor monitors where drinks and feet seem to find them!

• CMS Author

On behalf of all us new guys, thanks for such a clear, concise explanation of cab and power output compatibility.

Glad if I've given useful help. I've been harping on this for years here, so I've got the response down to an art.;) Though I don't think we can even make a dent in the Underpowering marketing juggernaut.

"Even if one person is saved it's worth it":lol:

• Members

Thanks for all the great input. I think I'll go get some clubs. Another question if you do not mind. My friend has 2 JRX's. With his 2 JRX's and my 2 clubs that I will get. WOuld the GX3 still work. I know the QSC website recommends the GX5 for the JRX's Or is this pure caca?

Also, can you run 1 moninor or 3 monitors with any GX amp at a time?

Thanks again.

• Members

1 or 2 monitors per side on a GX amp only. The JRX can be a bit frustrating to parallel with only one speakon jack.

i'd suggest putting jbls on one side of the amp, the yamahas on the other. hopefully you have an eq for them. I find the GX3 pretty wimpy myself, but for average situations and limited experience operators it's probably a safer choice.

• Members

Clubs. I :facepalm: purchased four of the JRX over the Clubs w/o test driving them. I thought they were somewhat comparable and the tipping point was my misreading :facepalm: the specs. I thought it said the cabinet had two throw angles. It did, if you use them on poles there are two different angled pole mounts, not for when you are using them as monitors.

When I received them, I realized I finally had an answer to the question I sometimes ask my son when he is trying to snow me, "Am I as dumb as I look?"

:eek:

• Members

My friend has 2 JRX's. With his 2 JRX's and my 2 clubs that I will get. WOuld the GX3 still work. I know the QSC website recommends the GX5 for the JRX's Or is this pure caca?

Also, can you run 1 moninor or 3 monitors with any GX amp at a time?

Thanks again.

I strongly disagree with QSC's recommendations for the average user, but it does help them sell larger amps and make more money...

YOu can run 2 boxes per channel maximum. 1 or 2 per channel is ok.

• Members

What I meant with 1 to 3 monitors is:

1. Run 1 monitor from channel A, for example, and that's it.

or

2. Run 3 monitors: 2 from Channel A and 1 from Channel B.

Is there a load mismatch? Would the GX handle this.

Another question, for what applications would you need the GX5. I guess point is if I upgrade to other monitors that require more power, will I be short with the GX3.

Thanks again.

• Members

Yes, any combination of 1 and 2 monitors is just fine.

Upgrade to the GX-5 when you buy better speakers that handle more power. Note...not all better speakers handle more power. There's a lot more to better than just power handling.

Archived