Thanks To These Threads

• Members

guys in my group think I'm a live sound god (and I am still SUCH a beginner)

Why?

A. They can hear themselves, and the rest of the member's parts

B. We have a good mix from the initial sound check (it does take longer than they're used to, but the results are worth it) without needing to be constantly messing with things during a performance.

C. We now have NO FEEDBACK issues - even rehearsing in a small room with 8' ceilings.

D. Everyone just gels as a unit, and gets the confidence from knowing the audience is hearing a clean, well balanced sound.

What Did I Learn Here? (obvious to you guys, not to us hackers)

A. Keep the mics - especially vox mics, well, well behind your boxes - not just more or less even with them

B. Get your vocalists on the mic - not a foot away

C. For God's sake turn down the guitar amps and put A LITTLE through the monitors

D. Use direct boxes and know what the difference in a line input vs. a mic input is

E. A little compression goes a long way

G. A little reverb/delay/chorus goes a long way

F. Spend more money on good cables and less on unnecessary outboard signal processing junk

G. Turn the monitors up and use good boxes (Yamaha Club series at a minimum)

H. Label EVERYTHING that connects.

I. Turn offending/unwanted frequencies down instead of boosting everything else up. (this was a big one for me in learning how to use the EQ)

J. Use BLACK 10 or 12 gauge extension cords (yes, we had all orange & yellow ones before)

K. Learn proper amp to speaker box matchups (still working on this one)

Any other things learned here you've actually put into use in your band?

• Members

Another good thing to learn early on is to by the best mics and speakers you can afford and then some. They are the two most important components. Everything else to a certain degree just passes signal and if it does that and its connected to good mics and good speakers it can sound very good. Fancy boards and processing can be nice, but not if they're connecting bad mics and crappy speakers.

Oh, and more practice doesn't hurt. Winston

• Members

Another good thing to learn early on is to by the best mics and speakers you can afford and then some. They are the two most important components. Everything else to a certain degree just passes signal and if it does that and its connected to good mics and good speakers it can sound very good. Fancy boards and processing can be nice, but not if they're connecting bad mics and crappy speakers.

Oh, and more practice doesn't hurt. Winston

Thankfully, the group likes to practice and let me practice on them - trying out different things..

Been also my very limited experience to get the guys who can move - guitarists, vocalist when he's not singing, etc to step out in front of the FOH boxes during and let them hear what the FOH mix sounds like - it's SO different from the stage mix - and then they're more likely to be open to suggestions i.e. tilting guitar cabs back, turning down, GETTING THE DRUMMER TO EASE UP ON THE SNARE (I continue to have issues here)

• Members

I, too, have learned a lot on this forum! Great advise from many members, and some immensely practical, realistic, answers, including from some who have already replied. I consider myself a novice, yet I seem to get consistently good sound from my son's band with my gear: regular audience members often like my sound better than the 'pro' guys get from them. We've even pulled off a few multi-band benefits quite well.

One of my secrets? Not such a secret, it was let out above: Keep It Simple! I have good mics (Shure sm58's - Beta 87's for vocals, Audix D-series for instruments and drums). I have a mixer highly recommended here (yes: i got it after reading): A&H Mixwix. Amps are QSC, matched to speakers or slightly underpowered. Monitors are Yamaha Club 12". Mains and subs are Yorkville Elites (people ask what are those? ...and then say...they sound great! I found them recommended here first!). 31 band Equalizers for monitors, 15 bands for mains.

And thats about it.

What? No Sonic maximer? nope

No Compressor? let the band control their own dynamics

No outboard effects? no...a touch from the board , and just for vocals.

Let the musicians control their music!

Good clean sound, and no feedback, due in no small part to good stage volume.

Archived