Lose connection on a bass DI?

• Members

My Ampeg combo amp has a built in DI and I been having problems with it lately. When I run a XLR cable out to the mixer it works fine. But after little while,and I know it from the amp's vibration is causing the XLR connection to be lose. Then I can hear speaker rattle which the first time it happen freaked the living {censored} out of me. :eek: Just wondering if I slightly bent one of the prong with a pair of needle nose that would make the connection tighter and the the vibration wouldn't cause it to come lose. Or is it shop time and have another one installed. What would you do?

• CMS Author

What make is the XLR cable's connector? There are a lot of Chinese knockoff connectors that do not meet the sizing standards for an XLR, and are either too tight or too loose.

If it's a no-name connector, try a cable with a Switchcraft or Neutrik end and see if that helps.

• Members

What make is the XLR cable's connector? There are a lot of Chinese knockoff connectors that do not meet the sizing standards for an XLR, and are either too tight or too loose.

If it's a no-name connector, try a cable with a Switchcraft or Neutrik end and see if that helps.

It's a knockoff so your saying just switch out a XLR cable that has either a Switchcraft or a Neutriik end will do. Didn't realize that knockoff's had different diameter size. Thanks for the head's up.

• CMS Author

It's a knockoff so your saying just switch out a XLR cable that has either a Switchcraft or a Neutriik end will do. Didn't realize that knockoff's had different diameter size. Thanks for the head's up.

There's no guarantee it's the problem here, but it's the first thing I would try. FWIW, I have a couple of guitar cables with 1/4" ends that won't fit into my practice amp's jack AT ALL. As China continues to come "on line" I can only see this problem getting worse.

• Members

Wait, there are other possible causes including the presence ofvphantom power causing the DI output to offset and potentially latch up if it's a crosscoupled type.

The clue to this is that it works ok when first plugged it.

Try this without phantom power first.

• Members

Wait, there are other possible causes including the presence ofvphantom power causing the DI output to offset and potentially latch up if it's a crosscoupled type.

The clue to this is that it works ok when first plugged it.

Try this without phantom power first.

Andy I don't have any mics that's using phantom power. I bet it the cheap mic cable I'm using and the amps vibration causing the cable connection to losen up.

• Members

Is phantom power turned off at the console?

It could be a defective line driver on the amp too.

When you wiggle the cable can you immediately recreate the problem???

Yea the phantom power is turned off at the mixer. I'll try the cable thing first and if it still does it then I'll know it's from the bass DI. I've heard that Ampeg was notorious for having crappy DI's on their amps.

• Members

My Ampeg combo amp has a built in DI and I been having problems with it lately. When I run a XLR cable out to the mixer it works fine. But after little while,and I know it from the amp's vibration is causing the XLR connection to be lose. Then I can hear speaker rattle which the first time it happen freaked the living {censored} out of me.
:eek:
Just wondering if I slightly bent one of the prong with a pair of needle nose that would make the connection tighter and the the vibration wouldn't cause it to come lose. Or is it shop time and have another one installed. What would you do?

I had the same problem (possibly) with my GK 800rb's DI out. Everytime you hit a note it sounds like it rattles in the PA. I unscrewed the DI connection in the amp, pulled it out a little and found that the connector in the amp was slightly loose, causing it to have an intermittant connection. I tightened it and haven't had a problem for almost a year. That might be the case here, but since it's a different amp, idk, and don't know if you can access it that way. Might be worth a shot though

Archived