Headset Mic for Singing Drummer?

• Members

Singing drummer in our four-piece, small-bar, roots-rock combo has a hard-on for a headset mic. He is currently using an SM58, which I think is just fine, except for some inevitable kit bleed. He uses a wedge for monitor, and does not want to go the IEM route. Mostly smaller rooms, often very tight stages.

He did use an AKG headset (do not recall which model) several years ago. I recall that we occasionally had some minor feedback issues when he turned his head away from the monitor. I also thought that mic sounded "brittle," even with EQ, but he was happy. Anyhoo, the AKG seemed to work "OK," until it fell apart. After going back to a 58 for several years, he recently used a headset when sitting in with another band, and . . . here we are.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this? Seems like the Crown cm311 is most often recommended -- anybody use that with a singing drummer? Will we have more or less kit bleed with that as compared to a 58 on a boom? Will it stand up to the rigors of weekend-warrior bar-band life? Are there other/better options? I have seen folks recommend Beta57 for singing drummers (more directional, less kit bleed).

Any input or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Members

Ditto... and try to position it on the same side of his head as the wedge monitor for best feedback rejection. There are different models depending on what termination you need... I'd avoid wireless if possible. (I know it'll be tempting for him once he starts shopping for the headset, but don't let him do it.)

• Members

I got a buddy that plays congas and blows harp and sings back up. He went to the headset. It might be more convenient for him ,, but its hurt the show alot. It sounds like {censored}.... Hopfully he will figure this out.

• Members

Thanks for the replies. We would definitely go with a wired version.

Any issues with durability or reliability on the CM311? We obviously did not have a good experience with the AKG, which seemed pretty flimsy to me.

Thanks.

• Members

CM311 has small wires like all headsets. One guitarist/singer has broken his (he now carries a spare) 3 times in 6 months because he has stepped on the wire while trying to take it off and broke it, he has tried to pull it up his shirt and forgot it was plugged in beltpack, etc. Another female singer that has only one, has exercised care and in over 6 months has not broken any.

I would say it is more fragile than a handheld by far, but it is also less fragile than my Countryman E6. If handled with reasonable care, and no careless accidents it will last. It didn't become somewhat of a standard by breaking regularly.

• Members

I'm a lead singing drummer and I can't stand headsets....for me the negatives outweight the positives.

Get a big boom stand (bigger than the normal ones) take it up from behind, and put a gooseneck on it, then drop it down in front of the drummer. My suggetion would be something that is a pistol grip style mic. I normally used a ATM Pro-35, but I would like to get a better quality mic for vocals. I'm not a big fan of Shure microphones, but I am considering the... I think it is the Beta56.

• Members

The most reliable, rugged headset we have found is the Audio Technica Pro 8HEX. Not the best sounding, but better sounding than when a fragile one {censored}s the bed. The Shure hadsets are not too bad in this department either, and maybe a bit better sounding.

None of the small directional headsets are great sounding... the diaphrams are awfully small and the geometry causes issues in the bass response. As sound quality becomes the dominant factor, the shift towards omni capsules is almost (though not totally) universal.

• Members

Crown CM311. Nothing close for GBF in a headset. Rejection is great. I would use nothing else (and I don't...)

I work with one band regularly uses 3 of these and you have to TRY to make them feedback.

+ 1000 to Axisplayer's comments! I'm using one of these - rejection IS great and GBF is incredible.

Combine it with a Shure PGX wireless receiver and bodypack and you've got a very function (and reasonably priced) wireless setup.

I'm happy as can be with mine.

• Members

Crown CM311. Nothing close for GBF in a headset. Rejection is great. I would use nothing else (and I don't...)

I work with one band regularly uses 3 of these and you have to TRY to make them feedback.

I agree with this 100%. Period, end of discuission.

• Members

I use the CM311A and drum. Best thing ever for my BACK!! enough ducking, dodging, and push/pulling the mic around on a boom.

The CM311A is the most recommended headset mic for drummers for a reason. It works great. I take care of mine and have used it for over 3 years now. It's capsule design works great for preventing feedback. The wire frame does have to be formed around your head to fit securely. One feature I love is the beltpack. You can use a 9vdc battery as Phantom Power and along with the power on/off switch (for battery, NOT silent!), there is a SILENT Pushbuttom dsp programable for on while pressed (announcer mode), off while pressed (cough switch mode), or basic on or off with each pressing (my fav so I turn it off when not singing).

Boomerweps

Archived