New Capsule For Wireless Shure Microphone

• Members

I know this subject has been discussed but I couldn't find much information or opinions for our particular situation.

Our lead singer's wireless SLX unit has a problem with the capsule. I am guessing it has been dropped or tossed around too much in the trailer loading in and out night after night. Either way we need to replace the capsule.

Here is the situation: We play mostly rock/dance type music. Everyone uses in ear monitors. We have a tall shield around the drummer. One small bass combo on stage and two guitar combo amplifiers on either side of the stage pointing straight accross at each other and fairly low to the ground. Our singer has a pretty high voice, which probably lack a bit of body, and belts out stuff like Journey and ACDC every night. He has a pretty good mic technique but mostly keeps the lips close to the capsule. He does have a tendancy to come out front and go through the crowd while he is singing.

Here is the question: Should we replace his current Beta58A capsule with another one or try the Beta87A or Beta87C instead? I know some of this will be personal taste, but I am trying to make the decision based more on our particular needs. I wish we could try an 87 first, but we don't have that luxury. I just want to use what will work best for our situation.

Opinions?

• Members

The Beta 58A will have better feedback rejection than the others you mention and will also isolate the voice better. The condensers will bleed more of the rest of the mix in them. This isn't necessarily a bad thing when wearing in ears as it will put more of the backline and room noise in your ears. The condensers just aren't as forgiving on small stages (but if you have no wedges on stage that really doesn't matter). If he does a lot of "going out into the crowd" that could be an issue, especially if you run sound from stage and can't readily make adjusments.

I have an SLX system and use the 58A. I also have an SM86 capsule. I like it better, but only use it on larger stages.

• Members

It will be "different". Little to no proximity effect and will be brighter with more silibence. If T's and S's are pronounced now, they will be more so with the condenser. Overall I like those mics better as it gives a more aggressive, cutting tone, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will sound better on his voice. The Beta 58A is more forgiving and good "one size fits all" higher end utility mic. For your situation of everyone using IEM's and having a full time engineer, the condenser will probably work out well though.

• Members

One avenue to explore would be the new Heil replacement capsules. You can check them out on their website. Obviously it would be good to try them out first and budget my be restricting, but i've heard great things about them.

yea, they are awesome. better than the shure capsules. maybe too pricey for you at this point though

• Members

Thanks for all of the replies. I am not too worried about the price at this point, just want the best capsule for our application. I can't say I dislike the Beta58a but just wondered if there was a better route.

Hmmm, still confused... :facepalm:

• Members

After reading the Heil site, it sounds like the best of both worlds. Condenser presence without the feedback and proximity effect. Sure, it's their site touting the microphone, but sounds like something to look into.

• Members

I'd try to rent a couple different capsules or wired versions just to see. Microphones are kind of a black art when it comes to finding the best for a particular voice, and the best approach is just to try a few out.

Call around for companies that rent wireless systems - at my company we have a pretty big collection of Shure capsules, and we'll rent them out when people want.

• Members

Are you positive that it is the capsule?

Have you taken off the ball, removed the inner foamie, and cleaned same?

I had no luck with the Heil PR22 on a loud rock stage. Neither did a friend. However in your situation it might work fine, as might the PR35.

That being said, I'm not a fan of the SLX. I'd rather a singer use a wired 58 than an SLX with any capsule (any Shure capsule, anyway).

• Members

That being said, I'm not a fan of the SLX. I'd rather a singer use a wired 58 than an SLX with any capsule (any Shure capsule, anyway).

Why is that? I have a wired 58A as a backup but use an SLX w/ a 58A (or SM86). Live or on a recording, I can't tell the difference between wired and wireless.

• Members

Thanks for all of the replies. I am not too worried about the price at this point, just want the best capsule for our application. I can't say I dislike the Beta58a but just wondered if there was a better route.

Hmmm, still confused...
:facepalm:

If you don't dislike the B58 capsule, stick with it. The SLX is an OK wireless setup, but I'd rather have a better wireless system vs. a different capsule for better sound. Especially if your singer doesn't mind the sound he has right now.

• Members

Thanks guys. Maybe I will look into replacing the SLX with a ULX or something similar.

Unless you need extended range or the need to run many wireless microphones at once, replacing the mic is a total waste of money.

Solo, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a wired 58A and an SLX 58A. Add the band, and I'd bet money you couldn't tell.

Archived