JBL TR225 vs Yamaha S215IV

• Members

I Have a set of JBL TR225 for a pa I am building but I never really got a chance to hear them yet but I am told they sound like ass lol. I found a set of Yamaha S215IV for 550. I thik it's from the club series. Should I nab them asap. Are they that much better than the JBL's.

• Members

they are better but they are still not the answer.

i dont think you are understanding the issues with a cheap dual 15" box.

i bought the single 15" version and i am quite happy with them. if you need to have a dual 15" box you need to go up a bracket, otherwise you are tossing good money after bad.

• Members

No I understand. I just didn't know if they were any good. Thats why I was asking. If they are only marginally better then what I have then I don't want them but if they were much better then I wanted them. I did not explain my self very well. I asked the question much better in the powered vs non powered thread. Agedhorse said in that thread better but not good enough so I am looking elsewhere. What would you all say is the best bang for your buck top box out there. Passive cabinet only. Agedhorse mentioned the SR and SRX JBL's as really nice. Are there ay others you would suggest? Are the Yorkville Elite 2x15 boxes any good?

• Members

Coaster I got to thinking about what you said. You like the 1x15 but not the 2x15. Is there something in the design of a 2x15 thats lends itself to not sound as good as the 1x15? Maybe I need to reconsider my topbox choices. Are there alot more good sounding options for a 1x15 over a 2x15? I wanted the larger cab to get the horns higher and I thought a 2x15 would be able to handle guitar, vocals, bass and toms better than a 1x15 but maybe I am wrong on that. I have been wrong on everything else lol.

• Members
Coaster I got to thinking about what you said. You like the 1x15 but not the 2x15. Is there something in the design of a 2x15 thats lends itself to not sound as good as the 1x15? Maybe I need to reconsider my topbox choices. Are there alot more good sounding options for a 1x15 over a 2x15? I wanted the larger cab to get the horns higher and I thought a 2x15 would be able to handle guitar, vocals, bass and toms better than a 1x15 but maybe I am wrong on that. I have been wrong on everything else lol.

you don't need a taller cab just to get the horns higher.:confused:

• Members

No I understand. I just didn't know if they were any good. Thats why I was asking. If they are only marginally better then what I have then I don't want them but if they were much better then I wanted them. I did not explain my self very well. I asked the question much better in the powered vs non powered thread. Agedhorse said in that thread better but not good enough so I am looking elsewhere. What would you all say is the best bang for your buck top box out there. Passive cabinet only. Agedhorse mentioned the SR and SRX JBL's as really nice. Are there ay others you would suggest? Are the Yorkville Elite 2x15 boxes any good?

The MRX line speakers are fairly good as well, but if you can go to the SRX's I'd either go that route, or the Yorkvilles.

Whay are you after the 2x15" boxes (just out of curiosity)?

I have a set of them, but I bought them out of necessity and got a fairly good deal on a set of CGM's I picked up a pair of two-way 2x15"+1" horn CGM cabinets that are rated at 650 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms (all Eminence drivers in them) for $250, not because I liked the design but because I got a deal on them.... but at least they weren't those "quasi-three-way" boxes.

Are you using subs? If so, I'd look at a 12"+1" rather than a 15"+1".

• Members

Single 15 boxes can be pole mounted on top of a sub. That's the beauty of the design PLUS they don't muddy as quickly in the low mid range like a dual 15. The yamaha dual 15 box is pretty sizable too. I have one for a drum monitor and I don't really like moving it around.

• Members

Really? I didn't know that. If thats the case I need to rethink my topboxes a bit. The reason I wanted 2x15 is I thought that because they had the extra speaker they would be able to handle what a heavier band would throw at them and because of their size it would get the horns over everyones head because my subs (4 Peavey Sp118 HC) are 36 inches tall.

I do own a set of old school Yamaha 4115s. Single 15 + horn. One has a 120 watt white Yamaha in it and the other has some 500 watt carvin in it lol. What if I were to replace those speakers with some nice eminence. Would that be alot better than my TR225's. That would only cost me about 300 bucks but these cabs are effing HEAVY. I don't mind though. I will build a box to go between my subs and topboxes to get them higher. I just don't like that pole look. Plus these would be too heavy for poles. Single 15 and they weigh around 130.

• Members

I would retire the yamaha boxes. For 550 you can get close to a pair of new yamaha S115V's and pole mount them, they are designed to be like that.

For 300 you can get an older pair of EV S15's, SH1502's, S152's, S122'S etc that will be a much better improvement over the JBL TR or 4115's.

Archived