Radial Direct Box

• Members

Hello Board:

I just purchased a Radial Pro DI and am trying to learn the ropes of it. I noticed with just playing around on my PA that when i lift the -15dB PAD switch, the guitar level spikes and actually sounds better and louder than with the switch pressed in.

My question is, what is the purpose of this switch, I understand it has something to do with converting my guitar to microphone level but I am just not sure and I am new to the world of direct boxes as my band has just now made the jump out of the basement onto the big stages

Will it be better to keep this switch lifted or depressed? Also, what is the ground lift switch about?

Anything y'all can tell me will help. Thanks!

• Members

Ground lift is to reduce hum if you get any when connected.

The PAD switch is used to attenuate the input level of device plugged into the DI. In other words, if the signal is hot, you can reduce its level going into the box by using the PAD switch. If the signal is weak going in, don't engage the PAD. The main purpose is to regulate the input so you don't saturate the DI (ie cause distortion.) If you don't need to use the PAD then don't. Your ears should tell you.

• Members

You use the pad when you see to hot a signal on your board. If your channel gain is all the way down and your still clipping press the pad button and it lowers the signal level.

Never using it is fine.

• Members

by engaging do you mean keeping the switch pressed down or lifting the swtich? when i got the system, the switch was pressed in. I lifted it when playing around with it. Not sure my mixer on my pa will tell me about a hot signal. I have a peavey xr8600?

• Members

As it is a passive DI with a good transformer, you will likely need the pad only when you are feeding the DI with a modern keyboard, or some acoustics with preamps in them, and that will likely be to keep from overdriving the console, not the DI.

• Members

tcrewsman, I use the Radial direct boxes and I recommend you leave all of the switches in the out position unless you need them pressed in. In other words if your signal coming from an instrument is too hot then press the -15 pad, or if you notice some hum noise that should not be there press the ground lift switch.

• Members

I just bought a race car and I notice that it goes faster when I press the accelerator in 5th gear... why is that???

Design flaw. Better take it back. Does it also leak noxious fumes from a pipe near the rear of the car? That's another sign that you need to return it.

Archived