Do you have a friend...

• Members

that knows A LOT more about sound (theory) than you, but you still think that your mix is better than his?

Nup.

A couple of people that at one stage were the opposite (they did better without knowing as much). But I've improved a lot since then.

• Members

I don't have any friends! Or ... at least ones that run sound.

But I think there are plenty of people with reams of knowledge and theories and equations...people that know exactly how to interface, set gain structure etc... that just don't know how to make a band sound good.

I think that often, the average guy in the band, even one that would have no clue as to how to set up a PA, would do a better job moving faders.

JP

• Members

Over the years I've met one or two (or three) people that knew tons about sound, but couldn't transform that knowledge into a good mix.

Sometimes because of band complaints in these cases, I've had to "help" with the mix; with guys that could otherwise bury me with their strong sound skills. Very strange, but I guess it can occur in almost any field.

• Members

I know several people that have been employed as soundmen at some of the clubs we play that think they know a lot about sound. The kind that know enough to that they think since they're there, every knob must be turned and every box in the effects rack must be used, but not enough to know that things would probably sound better if most of the knobs were zeroed out and most of rack units bypassed.

My favorite soundman was the one everyone else in town didn't like 'cause they thought he wasn't doing anything, even though he had good sounding mixes, because he wasn't back there constantly moving things. I loved him because once he was happy with the soundcheck, he would leave things alone and not screw the mix up. He would walk around the bar, stand in one spot for a while and listen thoughtfully, move to another spot for a while and listen some more, and after he'd listened enough in enough different places he'd go back to the board and make a little tweak here and there and then go listen some more.

• Members

My favorite soundman was the one everyone else in town didn't like 'cause they thought he wasn't doing anything, even though he had good sounding mixes, because he wasn't back there constantly moving things. I loved him because once he was happy with the soundcheck, he would leave things alone and not screw the mix up. He would walk around the bar, stand in one spot for a while and listen thoughtfully, move to another spot for a while and listen some more, and after he'd listened enough in enough different places he'd go back to the board and make a little tweak here and there and then go listen some more.

This must be a completely different guy from the one who is nowhere to be found when a guitar solo needs to be bumped or the background vocal is much louder than the lead vocal. Who thinks that all drums and all basses should sound exactly the same because, "Hey, it's just drums and bass". I work with "That Guy" way more often and way too much.

• Members

Actually, the people I know who know the most about sound don't own any sound equipment and would prefer to keep it that way. Considering the atrocious return on investment with consoles, maybe those people are smarter than you think.

The guy who got me into this business fits that description. He freely admits that he's not the best mix engineer around. He's the best system tech I know though. I prefer my own mixes to his (it really is subjective, you know) because I think my mixes are a bit more "musical" than his. It probably has something to do with the fact that when we were kids, I was learning to play guitar while he was taking apart transistor radios to see how they worked. But, it means squat in the real world. I'm trying to keep a regional sound company on it's feet while he's prepping his PA for the Dylan/Nelson/Mellencamp tour.

• Members

I've found that most DJ's know everything about sound, and they won't hesitate on telling you that. On many occasions I bring my rack mount CD player and background music to play between sets or acts. When they see the CD's, it usually starts going down hill from there. They wonder why the CD setup is so simple and all of the rest of the equipment is there...

• Members

I've met a few guys who have an excellent ear and do a really good job of mixing but freely admit to being challenged by the technology AND I've met some really good system engineers who are just not the greatest mixers... they just don't have the ear and feel.

• Members

When applied to those who understand the technical side yet don't have the hand/ear coordination thing down, this is the perfect oportunity to use a "wise saying" that goes:

Question) What is the difference between "in theory" and "in practice"?

Answer) In theory there isn't any.

Archived