Samson speakers

• Members

Hey all,

Whats the general consensus on Samson speakers? Looking mainly at the Samson db1800a. Budget needs to be watched. I cant seem to find anything bad about Samson gear.....enlighten me.

Hope this was the right place to post this. :)

• Members

What is your intended application? What type of band/music? How many people are you hoping to cover? What all gets miced? This is the right place for your question but we need to know a bit about your needs before we can answer.

• Members

Samson is part of Sam Ash, literally meaning "Sam's Son". They sell in more than Sam Ash stores, but are their house brand. I've actually had fairly good luck with their stuff in the past. It's not top shelf, but for a small premium over the likes of Behringer, it's what I'd consider a significant step up.

As for the design of that sub, the "butyl surround" doesn't seem like a good thing. That's how a lot of car subs are done, but they hardly provide "tight bass". The only other sub I've seen that kind of surround on is the Yorkville LS700P, but that sub uses 10" drivers, which is much less surface area so it's appropriate as it can still move in and out quickly. In an 18" speaker I would think it's going to be a soft and flabby sound as the speaker just can't react fast enough when it's bouncing off a big rubber surround.

• Members

As for the design of that sub, the "butyl surround" doesn't seem like a good thing. That's how a lot of car subs are done, but they hardly provide "tight bass". The only other sub I've seen that kind of surround on is the Yorkville LS700P, but that sub uses 10" drivers, which is much less surface area so it's appropriate as it can still move in and out quickly.

Yorkville Unity, Danley Labs, and Lab Subs among others use compliant surrounds.

Not saying that has anything to do with the box in question, though.

• Members

One of my concerns was their advertising. It has a 500 watt built in amp but the advertising talks about delivering 1000 watts of power. I don't think a single 1800a would really do a whole lot if you are looking for some good low end.

• Members

Ok, here goes; southern gospel quartet. 4 vocals, looking to bring out the low bass vocals a bit. All 4 have mics. We mainly use backing trax and some acapella stuff. All live sound. Biggest venue would generally be 500 head.

I'm not against another brand but we cant be silly with spending.

That help?

• Members

We use the EX500 subs. 500 watts and a 15. one per side, does great for small venues. I bet the subs would maje great drum monitor subs for bigger stages, they are nice and small but still move some lows.

We aren't looking for ear-drum killing SPL's , just good full sound....

Archived