EV Eliminator i

• Members

Anybody know what they were smoking when they designed these :lol:? As 350wrms non-trap cabs with only a 60 degree horizontal coverage I'd think you'd want to run them in pairs to get decent coverage but as they aren't traps I suspect they didn't think anybody would? The matching subs are some kinda of quasi bandpass things...

• Members

But they designed it as a system with a sub with a passive crossover and a main driven off each channels of an "Eliminator i amplifier" (600w/ch @4 ohms). Why would they design a system obviously aimed at the bottom of the market with a long throw 60 degree horn? Anyways I'm off to mix for an outside gig with a pair of these over PV118's driven by RMX2450's (500wrms into those 200wrms PV118's :eek:) - maybe I get to blow my first driver today :lol:? To make matters worse the last time they blew the LF's on the mains they replaced them with 250wrms Pyle Pro drivers (originals were 350wrms). I'm gonna bring my RMX1450 clones and try to convince them to use them instead - wish me luck :facepalm:! Oh, and they have two more RMX2450's for their monitors, some of which are TOA 60w - guess I should bring my monitor amps too :lol. Or maybe I'll luck out and come down with the swine flu :lol:. BTW I was told they had QSC amps, A&H mixer, DBX eq and feedback suppressor, and EV over Peavey so didn't think it would be that bad :eek:. At least I get to use a MixWiz3 for the first time :).

• Members

Anybody know what they were smoking when they designed these
:lol:
? As 350wrms non-trap cabs with only a 60 degree horizontal coverage I'd think you'd want to run them in pairs to get decent coverage but as they aren't traps I suspect they didn't think anybody would? The matching subs are some kinda of quasi bandpass things...

I have owned some really great EV speakers over the years. I loved my DML-1152As.

The 18" Eliminator subs are a 6th order bandpass design.

They are the undisputed champion of having the worst frequency response chart of any 18" loaded sub that I have ever seen or heard. :facepalm:

The definitive "one note wonder".

I have to wonder who signed off on the design.:poke:

• Members

I like the 60 deg coverage, in a long narrow room it keeps the HF off the walls. In reality the horn is the only thing with a 60 deg pattern and that's only at it's lower freq (2k) so everything else below 2K to the LF cutoff (55hz?) has a pattern determined by the driver itself. Pattern control is key especially with multiple boxes but for MI grade apps it isn't applicable in many cases.

• Members
Pattern control is key especially with multiple boxes but for MI grade apps it isn't applicable in many cases.

Well, the location was a bit weird shaped and we ended up arraying the two for coverage. The owner claimed the replacement LF drivers were hotter than the stock ones but I had to pull everything above 2k down 3db to get them to not sound like complete crap - I thought the LF drivers were blown at first :eek:. They certainly need to be measured out. I ended up bouncing off the RMX2450 limiters a bit and they didn't blow but I did notice the limiters were pretty noisy :(. I expected the subs to not keep up with the tops but the RMX2450 driving them never blinked the limit lights as far as I could see even when I cranked the xover up to 150hz to try to go easier on the tops.

Archived