Is modifying speaker boxes OK?

• Members

Will anyone provide their thoughts on whether it's OK to modify some speaker boxes? I have some Yamaha S115Vs that I've been trying to get rid of (see my sig!) because I really need some floor monitors. But it looks like I'm stuck with what I have.

I have access to a professional cabinet maker (carpenter), who would do the work for free. I'd like to cut the cabinets down so I could just use them as wedges - They sound great, and I can't afford to replace them with anything close. Since I'll be stuck with these speakers for life, I'm not concerned about resale, etc. The actual mod work would be top notch, using appropriate jointing techniques, materials, etc... I've thought about adding hardware to be able to angle the speakers, etc, but they're huge, and adding any additional weight or protruding thingies is not desirable.

I guess the simple question is: Will I make the speakers unusable (ruin the tuning of the speaker enclosure) by modifying the shape?

• Members

I guess the simple question is: Will I make the speakers unusable (ruin the tuning of the speaker enclosure) by modifying the shape?

You definitely will ruin the tuning, which may or may not render the the speakers unusable. They may sound absolutely terrible, just fine, or anything in between.

So... How much of a gambler are you?

I also suspect, as fine of a wood craftsman your buddy may be, that he will do at best a half-assed job on recovering the cabinet, be it in rat fur or poly. Futhermore, I suspect if you do take the time/money to properly recover the box (which will involve the tedious stripping of all the fur/adhesive already on there) you'll be nearing the mark on the price for a half decent monitor box.

• Members

Have your carpenter buddy do like I did for my e-drummer's 15" Yamaha Club cab that he uses for his personal drum amp. Make a small miniature plywood triangle ramp type of prop. That way you won't alter the box tuning and you can still sell them eventually.

• Members

Have your carpenter buddy do like I did for my e-drummer's 15" Yamaha Club cab that he uses for his personal drum amp. Make a small miniature plywood triangle ramp type of prop. That way you won't alter the box tuning and you can still sell them eventually.

Better idea. Cheaper too.

• Members

This idea is where I started out (and also considered tilt-back legs like a guitar amp), then got to thinking about carrying the things around, and how I'm looking to minimize weight/space...

So, I likely will end up propping them up for now, and the triangle wedge is nice since the cab stays intact. I'm certainly NOT going to modify them after reading the responses here.

But, let's just say, I'm really having an issue with the weight/space. If I'm able to find some pre-built, decent quality enclosures, is it OK to transfer the Yamaha components over to them? Or will I have issues because the electronic components and cabinet are not "matched"?

thanks, guys.

• Members

Jerry --

Loudspeakersplus has some neodym P-audio loaded, poly coated ply boxes that are dirt cheap, light, and compact.

Mark at Audiopile is also selling a small poly monitor box that you may interest you.

• Members

Jerry --

Loudspeakersplus has some neodym P-audio loaded, poly coated ply boxes that are dirt cheap, light, and compact.

Mark at Audiopile is also selling a small poly monitor box that you may interest you.

I was checking out those little EWIs at Audiopile. I almost pulled the trigger on a pair (a few weeks ago when I assumed the yammies would sell).

And I think I'm catching your drift: "If I want small, light floor monitors, buy some friggin small, light floor monitors"... I'm definitely OK with this turning into a "small, inexpensive floor monitor recommendation" thread.

I also checked out the Peavey 12Ms, which have a nice footprint and are pretty darn inexpensive (under $200 each). Will look at the Loadspeakersplyus offering also.

Any others to consider, assuming I'd like to avoid the ebay-elcheapo-noname-crapinabox?

I'll be using these primarily for vocals, but might need to put some instruments through for individual players. They don't need to be crazy loud, but clarity is a good thing.

• Members

A custom cradle for your speakers is nice, but seems like a lot to carry around. You might just try an "audio log" first and see if it gives you enough adjustment. I small provider I know here uses them and that's where I got the name. His "audio logs" are pieces of 2x4 wrapped in a couple layers of gaff tape. You stick them under your speakers to tilt them up. Flat for a shallow angle, or on edge for a steeper one. The gaff has just enough give and grip to it to stay in place.

Works for him. Winston

• Members

I was checking out those little EWIs at Audiopile. I almost pulled the trigger on a pair (a few weeks ago when I assumed the yammies would sell).

And I think I'm catching your drift: "If I want small, light floor monitors, buy some friggin small, light floor monitors"... I'm definitely OK with this turning into a "small, inexpensive floor monitor recommendation" thread.

I also checked out the Peavey 12Ms, which have a nice footprint and are pretty darn inexpensive (under $200 each). Will look at the Loadspeakersplyus offering also.

Any others to consider, assuming I'd like to avoid the ebay-elcheapo-noname-crapinabox?

I'll be using these primarily for vocals, but might need to put some instruments through for individual players. They don't need to be crazy loud, but clarity is a good thing.

Might check out Yorkville YX series pretty good cabs if your stage volume is under control. IMO better then the Peavey's I once owned.

Archived