Best FX Unit for Vocals <$500?

• Members

Thought I'd try this thread here to hopefully get more input/suggestions.

Our 3 piece hard rock band has been just using the built in fx on our powered mixer up til now (Reverb and Delay) which leaves a bit to be desired. What would be the best fx unit for us that would help make our vocals sound better (not only reverb & delay, but also maybe voice doubling or stuff to make our vocals sound thicker/bigger - you know - to help compensate for our lack of singing ability :lol:)? Also to just help our vocals sound a bit more engineered or polished, like a bit of studio magic was added.

We will obviously keep practicing to improve our singing, but I know lots of the big bands I see have all kinds of crap they're singing through to help make them sound so good. I want/need some of that crap :lol: Thanks!

• Members

:phil: I'm starting vocal lessons and understand the importance of learning how to sing correctly. However, as you may or may not know, most singers actually add fx to their vocals :lol: It actually enhances their vocals and helps them sound even better.

Seriously though, most people agree that the built in fx on powered mixers leave alot to be desired, so I'm curious what people would recommend as an improvement, which I'm sure will help our vocals sound better.

• Members

The Lexicon MX300 is a great unit too.

The MX200 is nice too.

I picked up a used one for $100. just so I could have it for those female

singers who always ask...

"Could I have a little Reverb please"

• Members

IMHO the order of improvements would be singing lessons concurrent with:

1. Good or better mics (don't know what you're using)

2. Good or better PA (don't know what you're using)

3. Better FX only if singing lessons and numbers 1 and 2 don't help.

• Members

Thanks everybody for the info! We've significantly downsized/simplified our PA to just a Peavey XR8600 powered mixer through a pair of Yamaha Club 15" Mains. (We're spending most of our time working on original material now rather than playing parties and bars doing covers.)

I use a SM-58.

Our singing isn't terrible by any means, but there's definitley alot of room for improvement - so we'll keep practicing and I'm starting lessons with a vocal coach very soon.

In the meantime, I'll read up on the units you guys have suggested. Good to get some different suggestions, because up til now, I had been mainly looking at only the TC Harmony G.

• Members

Is the M-ONE specifically intended for vocal fx or is it just a generic fx unit, for guitars and everything? I was just curious if fx units that are specifically intended for vocals (like the Harmony G), are more desirable to use for vocals - like if they offer better quality fx that better suit vocals specifically. Also, some of the vocal fx units I've read about that have presets for 'thickening' your voice sound interesting and appealing.

• Members

Alesis Microverb 4 is one of the best and simplest inexpensive fx.

The NanoVerb and PicoVerb are also a "sleepers"

i second that on the alesis units...very inexpensive and they work great..could probably find one on ebay for 50 bucks. ive always loved alesis stuff...had a little mixing board i used for a rehearsal room awhile back with built in effects that i liked a lot..sold it...but now i miss it :facepalm:

• Members

The Lexicon MPX550 has some great sounding reverbs and they are very adjustable. It's out of production, but can be found used for under $200 pretty easily. Lexicon seems to have good product support from my one experience with them. I bought my second one as a basically new floor demo from GC for only $200 since it was missing a knob, and Lexicon sent me the knob for free within just a couple of days. I have had them now for several years with no problems.

• Members

Rather than add reverb to the vocals, I'd first go for some compression to smooth them out. Aphex Expressor (any model), dbx160A or XT, dbx 166XL, dbx 266XL, TC C300 or C350, or even a Behringer. (Just don't get an Alesis).

• Members

Rather than add reverb to the vocals, I'd first go for some compression to smooth them out. Aphex Expressor (any model), dbx160A or XT, dbx 166XL, dbx 266XL, TC C300 or C350, or even a Behringer. (Just don't get an Alesis).

Better hope there's insert points on those channels or the comps aren't going to be much help.

• Members
The NanoVerb and PicoVerb are also a "sleepers"

I have a picoverb to throw in my bag for use with mixers without internal effects and it really sounds fantastic if you don't need adjustable parameters - better than any built in effects I've used. But for one-off bar bands a mixer's built in effects are usually "good enough".

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Years ago I had the same question to answer. I ended up with the TC M-One XL.

I felt that the only competitor was the Lexicon MPX500/550 which sells for nearly the same price, but doesn't include delay (correct me if I am off here).

The reverbs between the two units are both very very good. The difference is in taste if you ask me.

The Lexicon has an open and airy reverb feel while the M-One has a warm and full feel.

For live situations, I A/B'd the two and found that I preferred the sound of the M-One.

As for the suggestions on the PA, while I agree that microphones and speakers are very important, you already have these things. Not having reverb and delay on vocals is a critical missing element.

It would be like saying you have a car with no seats and someone suggested that to improve your car, you get a better engine ;)

Having quality vocal efx is a critical element to having good live sound.

After the efx, I would replace those SM58's with EV ND767A microphones. You can pick one up for around $80-100. You will be stunned how much better your PA sounds and how much more volume you will be able to get out the system without feedback problems.

Perhaps the best use of your $500.00 would be to purchase a more modest reverb unit (http://cgi.ebay.com/TC-Electronic-M350-Dual-Reverb-Multi-Effects-Processor_W0QQitemZ170365318605QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27aa9075cd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14) and then purchase a couple new microphones (http://www.zzounds.com/item--ELVND767A)

You will most surely find your PA has doubled in quality with your $500.00 used like this.

Archived