Reverb/Delay Live Vox

• Members

So I have band, two guitars, bass, drums, two vocals.

We have a Yamaha EMX512c and Yamaha Club SM15s and SM12 monitors.

Doing clubs, outdoor festival venues, etc.

I cannot get the onboard effects on the EMX 512 to sound decent on vocals.

I like delay over muddy reverb and am wondering if I need to invest in a seperate reverb delay unit and abandon the onboard.

Lexicon is highly reputable and thought about something like a MX200 to at least upgrade the quality of effects.

I even have a 60W Crate accoustic amp with onboard effects that blow the EMX 512 out of the water.

I am no pro at mixing. I keep trying to get the vocals sharp and crisp, but cannot seem to put it all together, much less add a little decent delay or reverb.

Advice?

Emil

• Members

I like delay over muddy reverb and am wondering if I need to invest in a seperate reverb delay unit and abandon the onboard.

...I keep trying to get the vocals sharp and crisp, but cannot seem to put it all together, much less add a little decent delay or reverb.

Maybe that was supposed to say "It's like delay over muddy reverb..." but if not, isn't "delay over muddy reverb" pretty much the opposite of "sharp & clear vocals"?

• Members

Maybe using a little less effects would be one place to start... a little effects go a long way. In general, I see folks using way more effects than is tasteful which make any "muddyness" a bigger problem than it really is.

Some other good outboard effects to consider are the Alesis PicoVerb and NanoVerb. Easy to use, good sounding verbs and inexpensive.

• Members

If the average person notices that there is reverb, either the singer or soundguy is bad. (I do use intentional effects for one song during the night. I play trumpet directly to the audience, so no reverb there either.) For the longest time, I played organ with no reverb. Don't think anyone but me noticed. (For that matter, I could turn it off for the gig this weekend and no one would notice either.)

Archived