No announcement yet.

Reverb/Delay Live Vox

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverb/Delay Live Vox

So I have band, two guitars, bass, drums, two vocals.

We have a Yamaha EMX512c and Yamaha Club SM15s and SM12 monitors.

Doing clubs, outdoor festival venues, etc.

I cannot get the onboard effects on the EMX 512 to sound decent on vocals.

I like delay over muddy reverb and am wondering if I need to invest in a seperate reverb delay unit and abandon the onboard.

Lexicon is highly reputable and thought about something like a MX200 to at least upgrade the quality of effects.

I even have a 60W Crate accoustic amp with onboard effects that blow the EMX 512 out of the water.

I am no pro at mixing. I keep trying to get the vocals sharp and crisp, but cannot seem to put it all together, much less add a little decent delay or reverb.

Advice?

Emil

I like delay over muddy reverb and am wondering if I need to invest in a seperate reverb delay unit and abandon the onboard.

...I keep trying to get the vocals sharp and crisp, but cannot seem to put it all together, much less add a little decent delay or reverb.

Maybe that was supposed to say "It's like delay over muddy reverb..." but if not, isn't "delay over muddy reverb" pretty much the opposite of "sharp & clear vocals"?
    basses:
    ~1986 pearl white fretless Fender Jazz Bass Special | 1978 black on black, maple neck Fender Precision | dark shadow grey Fender Power Jazz Bass Special | Novatone Precision!? | a couple of uprights

equipment:
    Sunn 1200s & 410h cabinet | too many other bass amps to list
    Akai Deep Impact | Akai Unibass | Ashly DPX-200 | Korg DT-10 tuner | a few pedals I don't use

Comment

Maybe that was supposed to say "It's like delay over muddy reverb..." but if not, isn't "delay over muddy reverb" pretty much the opposite of "sharp & clear vocals"?

I took it to mean that he prefers to use a delay more than a muddy reverb.
      "If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

I took it to mean that he prefers to use a delay more than a muddy reverb.

Ah, that makes sense. My interpretation explains why he's having so much trouble though
        basses:
        ~1986 pearl white fretless Fender Jazz Bass Special | 1978 black on black, maple neck Fender Precision | dark shadow grey Fender Power Jazz Bass Special | Novatone Precision!? | a couple of uprights

equipment:
        Sunn 1200s & 410h cabinet | too many other bass amps to list
        Akai Deep Impact | Akai Unibass | Ashly DPX-200 | Korg DT-10 tuner | a few pedals I don't use

Comment

I have never heard any onboard FX that sounded as good as separate FX units. Onboard FX are a popular selling point but that is the one place they cut corners to keep the price reasonable. It may work in a church but not in a club gig.
          this sig no verb

Comment

The Lexicon MX200 is a nice unit. Exceeds the quality (or lack of) the onboard effects significantly.

Comment

THe onboard FX are pretty weak on that thing...

id reccomend the TC Electronic M350 for a good quality dual FX unit for under $200
              Dan
              dan@audioeast.com

Audio East ~ New England Sound & Lighting
              Authorized Dealers: Allen & Heath, Audix, Audio Technica, Ashly, Crest, Crown, DBX, Drawmer, Soundcraft, JBL, Midas, EV, Klark Teknik, TC Electronic, Lexicon, CBI, Yorkville, Gator Cases, Whirlwind, ProCo, Shure, Chauvet

Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...07437315944568

Comment

Maybe using a little less effects would be one place to start... a little effects go a long way. In general, I see folks using way more effects than is tasteful which make any "muddyness" a bigger problem than it really is.

Some other good outboard effects to consider are the Alesis PicoVerb and NanoVerb. Easy to use, good sounding verbs and inexpensive.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Agreed. Effects are frequently overdone. I use enough reverb to hear it alone, but it vanishes when the full band is playing. Lots of reverb is a crutch for bad vocalists.

Comment

Agreed. Effects are frequently overdone. I use enough reverb to hear it alone, but it vanishes when the full band is playing. Lots of reverb is a crutch for bad vocalists.

Waddaya meanmeanmeanmean????
                    "If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

If the average person notices that there is reverb, either the singer or soundguy is bad. (I do use intentional effects for one song during the night. I play trumpet directly to the audience, so no reverb there either.) For the longest time, I played organ with no reverb. Don't think anyone but me noticed. (For that matter, I could turn it off for the gig this weekend and no one would notice either.)

Comment

Working...
                      X