Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on an old power mixer

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who can think straight or get anything meaningful accomplished in this weather? It's so stupid hot

Your welcome to come to the U.P. of Michigan.
    It actually got hot (to us) here today ~76 or so.
    Summer temps, usually 50s in the AM, though it gets down into the 30s and 40s on occassion. Been here since 1995 and we've only had three or four days in the 100s.

Comment

Summer temps, usually 50s in the AM, though it gets down into the 30s and 40s on occassion. Been here since 1995 and we've only had three or four days in the 100s.

It reached 26 degrees celcius here yesterday. That's 79 farenheit approximately.

That may not sound like much, but it's the middle of winter here!!

Comment

When I first went to work in the Alaska bush... on the Gulf of Alaska... I'd just climbed off an open platform combine after 5 weeks of wheat harvest. I was sunburned and peeling. The locals up there thought I had some sort of skin disease... they'd never seen a peeling sunburn. Their record hot day was somewhere in the '70's. Some of the elders remembered/reminissed about a particurally hot dry summer (all 3 or 4 days of it) in the distant past where vehicles were able to kick up a little perceivable dust. They were anxious for me to further describe/explain this dust phenomon... and asked me to attempt to explain what a horizion could look like that wasn't obscured by trees... or what a whole week without rain or snow was like.

Comment

They were anxious for me to further describe/explain this dust phenomon... and asked me to attempt to explain what a horizion could look like that wasn't obscured by trees... or what a whole week without rain or snow was like.

I worked with a guy from Minot, ND who was amazed at the tree cover in the area (northern NJ) and "mountainous terrain". He said he was used to walking out the front door of his house and being able to see where he was going to drive, even if it was 10 miles away...and see the entire road from there.....
          "If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

One guy thought it was cool, a bunch of us gave another opinion. I've serviced them and they are a bitch to work on when they do need work and require a pretty big service bench due to how they open up. I would expect there to be some problems, mostly intermittent problems so keep that in mind when chevcking it out.

It may be a good deal for you. If not, you are only out some "pocket change". Not a big deal I assume.

Are we all taking about the same mixer?

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80300672.pdf

I heard it mentioned it was black and now its a bitch to work on. The XR1200c that I had was gray and was very easy to service/clean. Just put it on its back and remove the screws on the bottom going through the wood. It had a hinge on the back/bottom in the front. Just set it on its side and it would unfold. The amp section was modular and although I don't remember if it was every channel strip or in groups of 2 came out just by unplugging the strip going to them. The only some what of a pain was to be sure to remove knobs/nuts on the front before hand so you didn't have to do it after it was open. All in all I would give it a 2/3 on a scale of 1-10 as to how hard it was to work on. I have never heard of a ribbin failure on them. Both of mine were sold but still going strong today.

Any chance its the XR1200 (the none C model ) you are looking at?

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80370355.pdf

Still not a bad mixer. Just 200 watts a side.

Dookietwo

Comment

Are we all taking about the same mixer?

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80300672.pdf

Any chance its the XR1200 (the none C model ) you are looking at?

Dookietwo

It's the XR1600C, definitely not the 1200.
              Thanks.
              Still Kickin' cancer's ass....Blue Water Sailors of the Vietnam WarHCGB Trooper #246Psalm 19 SocietyI can't really imagine experiencing the desire for multiple women; one has proven to be taxing enough as it is.Thanks Offy

Comment

Opening it up wasn't an issue, it was the removal and servicing of the pwer supply and the power amp that was a challenge. It took up so much room on the bench that there was no space left to get to the bottom after it was opened up to remove hardware. It was "unwieldy". Technically it was pretty simple and IIRC the preamp was flat PCB strips of 2 channels.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

agedhorse.
                  Your mailbox is full.

Thanks for the great advice. I appreciate your insight.
                  Still Kickin' cancer's ass....Blue Water Sailors of the Vietnam WarHCGB Trooper #246Psalm 19 SocietyI can't really imagine experiencing the desire for multiple women; one has proven to be taxing enough as it is.Thanks Offy

Comment

fixed.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Peavey.com has archived manuals for all of Thier equipment. I would get familiar with that before testing and making an offer. We have this same mixer FOH at my church. It is a stereo mixer and the dual amps only power the mains in the stereo configuration. It has several jumper configurations that will allow for mono operation which are outlined in the manual. I would also say if you could get it for $50-75 it might be worth it for what your looking to do. For a couple hundred more you could get a newer powered board like the behringer pmp6000 with digital effects and class d amps in a smaller lighter package

Comment

Originally posted by Compuwayne View Post
                        Peavey.com has archived manuals for all of Thier equipment. I would get familiar with that before testing and making an offer. We have this same mixer FOH at my church. It is a stereo mixer and the dual amps only power the mains in the stereo configuration. It has several jumper configurations that will allow for mono operation which are outlined in the manual. I would also say if you could get it for $50-75 it might be worth it for what your looking to do. For a couple hundred more you could get a newer powered board like the behringer pmp6000 with digital effects and class d amps in a smaller lighter package
                        This post is 8 years old so its possible they bought it by now, or not......

Comment

Working...
                        X