No announcement yet.

Thoughts on an old power mixer

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on an old power mixer

There's a local pawn shop with a Peavey XR 1600C that's been there for months. I have not fired it up but the unit looks very clean. The asking price is $169.00 but since it's been there for so long they would very likely come down considerably.
    I am not familiar with that unit so a couple of questions.
    If it's fully functional what would be a reasonable offer?
    Are the preamps reasonably decent?
    Would the unit work for LoFi recording without powering speakers, ie; as a desk mixer?
    How would it work as an occasional monitor amp?
    How about as a main amp in a back yard type situation where more inputs are needed than my solo gig system?

Inquiring minds want to know.
    Still Kickin' cancer's ass....Blue Water Sailors of the Vietnam WarHCGB Trooper #246Psalm 19 SocietyI can't really imagine experiencing the desire for multiple women; one has proven to be taxing enough as it is.Thanks Offy

There's usually a very good reason something sits on the shelf for a very long time. This is one of those instances.
    "If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

Pass unless you are looking for a rehersal PA and then be sure it's working.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

In its day the XR1600c was a very good mixer. It has 2 - 250 watt fan cooled at 4 0hm amps built in. Draws air from the bottom , out the vents on the top. Basic low/mid/high eq with monitor/effects sends. Spring reverb inside as well. Allot of patching is available. I also liked the direct send per channel on it. I had both a Xr1200c and an XR1600c with no problems. I'll have to look it up but the 1600 was around $1400 dollars new. $160 if working and in good shape is a steal if you can use it. Check ebay. Search Peavey XR.

Comment

There's usually a very good reason something sits on the shelf for a very long time. This is one of those instances.

Well, thanks for that insight.
          You don't suppose the extremely high unemployment rate in this area has anything to do with no one having the money to buy?
          Still Kickin' cancer's ass....Blue Water Sailors of the Vietnam WarHCGB Trooper #246Psalm 19 SocietyI can't really imagine experiencing the desire for multiple women; one has proven to be taxing enough as it is.Thanks Offy

Comment

Pass unless you are looking for a rehersal PA and then be sure it's working.

Well, that would be another use.

Comment

In its day the XR1600c was a very good mixer. It has 2 - 250 watt fan cooled at 4 0hm amps built in. Draws air from the bottom , out the vents on the top. Basic low/mid/high eq with monitor/effects sends. Spring reverb inside as well. Allot of patching is available. I also liked the direct send per channel on it. I had both a Xr1200c and an XR1600c with no problems. I'll have to look it up but the 1600 was around $1400 dollars new. $160 if working and in good shape is a steal if you can use it. Check ebay. Search Peavey XR.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
              I think I can use it, especially if it can be used as a LoFi desk recoding mixer.
              I also think I can get it for under $150.00.
              I'll probably wait until next month, go in and hook it up for a demo. It all seems to work offer a buck and a quarter.

Comment

Well, thanks for that insight.
                You don't suppose the extremely high unemployment rate in this area has anything to do with no one having the money to buy?

Thanks for the sarcasm. Maybe next month you'll understand that I was helping you.
                "If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

Thanks for the sarcasm. Maybe next month you'll understand that I was helping you.

Your initial response was, IMHO, sarcastic since I asking, in my case valid questions, none that were addressed by you. The unemployment rate in my immediate area is over 13% with negative job growth. Housing decline is among the worst in the nation. A really great environment for moving non-essential goods. You should see the construction tools and equipment that has been on the shelf even longer. I guess that wouldn't be worth looking at either since it's been unsold for such a long time.
                  So, no, your response was not of any help what so ever. It was your opinion yet you neglected to give anything remotely supporting that opinion. If it's time on the shelf you're forgetting something. In real life the length of time any given article is on the shelf, with few exceptions and other than perishables, doesn't mean the article isn't worth looking at. Were that a fact NOS wouldn't be a consideration for anyone to even think about. Granted while this particular piece of gear is not NOS the premise remains the same. If NOS is worth looking at so is older used gear.

Comment

Frankly, I wouldn't buy it myself because reselling it would be near impossible. It's big, heavy and clunky for what it is. Craig's suggestion was a good one... it's not a very desireable piece BUT if you have a use for it and it works and the price seems right to YOU, then maybe it's the right piece for your needs.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Comment

I think there were at least two incarnations of the xr1600, the newer black one and the older greenish, maybe even a real old black/brown model .

drawbacks; big, heavy, unknown history, unknown issues.

the other thing is you don't want something that could go bad on you at a gig. recording is one thing, all kinds of time.

benefits; lots of stuff for $150 bucks. some amount of utility.

as far as a recording mixer..hmm, not sure. my opinion is to get good quality everything , only size it to what you may need. you're always being judged on your quality of sound, whether it be recorded or live. sure, the performance and all that matters most. "yea, and i did this track on my $150 peavey 1980s mixer" may be a decent disclaimer for the average recipient but...

Comment

I'd take some time to familiarize yourself with the weight of that board before purchase.

It is sorta the love child of the old CS400 and Mark series mixer, and weighs about what you would expect from a product housing both in a single enclosure.

You can get a general notion of the ownership experience of that board (without having to spring for one) by volunteering to help a neighbor move his hide-a-bed up a staircase with an awkward turn in the middle.
                        -

Comment

Your initial response was, IMHO, sarcastic since I asking, in my case valid questions, none that were addressed by you. The unemployment rate in my immediate area is over 13% with negative job growth. Housing decline is among the worst in the nation. A really great environment for moving non-essential goods. You should see the construction tools and equipment that has been on the shelf even longer. I guess that wouldn't be worth looking at either since it's been unsold for such a long time.
                          So, no, your response was not of any help what so ever. It was your opinion yet you neglected to give anything remotely supporting that opinion. If it's time on the shelf you're forgetting something. In real life the length of time any given article is on the shelf, with few exceptions and other than perishables, doesn't mean the article isn't worth looking at. Were that a fact NOS wouldn't be a consideration for anyone to even think about. Granted while this particular piece of gear is not NOS the premise remains the same. If NOS is worth looking at so is older used gear.

I addressed your post in a succinct and serious manner. You assume I was being sarcastic, but was not.

I never said your questions weren't valid. I also didn't say the mixer wasn't worth *looking at*. I said it's on the shelf for a reason. Priced too high. Too big. Too old. Doesn't work 100%. Isn't very good even when it works 100%. All of the above. Without even seeing it I know it fits several of those reasons for sitting unsold.

I'd offer 50 bucks if it's fully functional. Not a penny more. Use the rest for a hand truck.

Comment

Frankly, I wouldn't buy it myself because reselling it would be near impossible. It's big, heavy and clunky for what it is. Craig's suggestion was a good one... it's not a very desireable piece BUT if you have a use for it and it works and the price seems right to YOU, then maybe it's the right piece for your needs.

Well, selling is probably not an issue. If it functions and I end up making an offer on it that is accepted it will more likely than not out live me.
                            Big and clunky won't for the most part matter since it won't get moved much.
                            I would have a use for it, at some times and some places. I have my easy to transport solo rig.
                            Obviously a purchase would very much depend on acceptance of an offer and it's functionality.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

I'd take some time to familiarize yourself with the weight of that board before purchase.

It is sorta the love child of the old CS400 and Mark series mixer, and weighs about what you would expect from a product housing both in a single enclosure.

You can get a general notion of the ownership experience of that board (without having to spring for one) by volunteering to help a neighbor move his hide-a-bed up a staircase with an awkward turn in the middle.

Good advice IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X