Anybody try the K Series speakers with a rock band in a smaller bar?

• Members

How did it sound? Based on the features (lightweight, portability) it has moved on to my radar. I plan on checking them out in person in two weeks. They'd be used with various rock cover bands playing a lot of the typical bar stuff in smaller bars (100 people or so). Seems like this is the market they are targetting.

• Members

When we play the Faneuil Hall Bars in Boston... IE:

The Green Dragon = ~100ppl

Hennessy's Downstairs =~150ppl

We pull out of the van 1 QSC HPR 18" sub and 2 K10's for main/tops.

They work just fine for those crowds.

Some K10s with a matching K-Sub would probably do just as good of job!

Obviously when we play larger ballrooms for weddings and other private parties, we need to bring out the big HPR tops (which we then use the K10s as monitors).

• Members

Pretty cool. I've actually been to Faneuil Hall.. cool place. I'm going to check them out in person, but right now getting the HPR181s don't make a lot of sense for my applications. If I did want to upgrade I could use the K Series FOH for monitors like you and sell the subs to upgrade or keep for smaller places.

Like I said, I'm going to check them out in person in two weeks... but it's kind of hard to tell at a store how they would handle in an actual setting with a band.

• Members

From what my Guitar Center Pro sales-rep has been telling me, a lot of bands that have been going with a pair of K10's over a pair of KSUBs, and supposedly working out great for the smaller club scene.

I've yet to hear the KSUB, but I'm sure price vs performance, they're going to be decent.

• Members

I have used my K12s to drive multiple screamo type bands in building that will hold around 250 with no problem. They worked fine, I do use a pair of Peavey QW 118 subs with them.

I have also ran sound for a 5 piece rock band at an outside venue with the same set up and received a lot of compliments on the sound quality.

I run a small one man operation and need light weight for load in and load out. The K12s work perfect for my needs.

• Members

I bought a K-12 today for my daughter to use as a small venue PA. It sounds fantastic. While I was at the store, they played the K-12 with the K-sub and it was some of the cleanest bass I've ever heard - a great combination. It wasn't in the budget today or I'd have left with both the speaker and sub.

The K-12 has a nice punch and by itself is great, but when they added that sub, it was a whole new ballgame! My daughter does mostly acoustic, so it's not really needed, but for a band I think the K-sub would be ideal.

• Members

I bought a K-12 today for my daughter to use as a small venue PA. It sounds fantastic. While I was at the store, they played the K-12 with the K-sub and it was some of the cleanest bass I've ever heard - a great combination. It wasn't in the budget today or I'd have left with both the speaker and sub.

The K-12 has a nice punch and by itself is great, but when they added that sub, it was a whole new ballgame! My daughter does mostly acoustic, so it's not really needed, but for a band I think the K-sub would be ideal.

I have followed your other thread... Glad to see you ended up with something you're happy with!

• Members

The K sub sounds good but it is heavy and really narrow if you want to put speakers on top of it. At 14" wide, I'd be afraid to put speakers on poles above it. I believe that is why the pole for the K series is threaded and pretty short. I'm not sure if it allows the tops to be as high as they should be for best coverage. Soundwise I've heard good things about the K Sub. Personally, I like the PRX stuff.

• Members

The K sub sounds good but it is heavy and really narrow if you want to put speakers on top of it. At 14" wide, I'd be afraid to put speakers on poles above it. I believe that is why the pole for the K series is threaded and pretty short. I'm not sure if it allows the tops to be as high as they should be for best coverage. Soundwise I've heard good things about the K Sub. Personally, I like the PRX stuff.

I've wondered that too, after seeing the subs in person. Looks like with a speaker on top they could get tipsy. Wouldn't want to crash down on some dancer who leaned on them to adjust her shoes and put too much force on them after a couple too many drinks.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Got a second K12 on the way. My daughter recently played a house concert and the pa system had a pair of 15" passive JBL's and our single K12. The engineer who set it all up told me later how impressed he was with the QSC - said it was quite a bit louder than the JBL's.

Terry, how did your demo of the K-12's go?

Archived