Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• threaded speaker poles

My EV TourX sub has a threaded hole in top for the pole, the other end of it would be 1 3/8" (or whatever standard pole cups are).

The dip****************s at Sam Ash only had one pole when I bought my pair of subs.

The dip****************s at EV have managed to either exclude it from their website or have it hidden so well that Sherlock Holmes would have a meltdown trying to find it. So I have no part number or dimensions.

QUESTION. Are threaded poles common? If so, where can I interwebs order one without getting ass raped. I believe Sam Trash wanted $50 a piece for these short sticks.
    Uhhhhhh the "Money for Nothing" program was such a huge success we ran out of money. Uhhhh but don't worry, we're gonna uhhhhhh print more money and extend the program.

You need part # 301397-135 PCL35 Steel Threaded Subwoofer Pole according to the manual.

http://www.electrovoice.com/documents/ev/TX1181_EDS.PDF
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/336983-REG/Electro_Voice_301397135_PCL35_Speaker_Pole.html
    HC Geezer Brigade Trooper #51

Comment

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/248933.html
      HC Geezer Brigade Trooper #51

Comment

I have threaded K&M poles for $75 a pair, shipped.
        Mike Pyle ~ Audiopyle Sound
        www.audiopyle.com
        Dealer for EV, Yorkville, Turbosound, A&H, QSC, FBT, RCF, Powersoft, R-H, Audix, Ashly, Danley, APB, Shure, K&M, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, Rane, SLS Audio, Denon, Radial Eng, Roadready, Global Truss, Ultimate, Elation, Chauvet, ColorKey, Bizzard, Yamaha, and much more...

Comment

I have threaded K&M poles for $75 a pair, shipped.

Excellent, would love to give a forum member my business. What is the length of these?
          Uhhhhhh the "Money for Nothing" program was such a huge success we ran out of money. Uhhhh but don't worry, we're gonna uhhhhhh print more money and extend the program.

Comment

Excellent, would love to give a forum member my business. What is the length of these?

A little over 35" long. I also have some extendable ones ordered that should be here this week.
            www.audiopyle.com
            Dealer for EV, Yorkville, Turbosound, A&H, QSC, FBT, RCF, Powersoft, R-H, Audix, Ashly, Danley, APB, Shure, K&M, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, Rane, SLS Audio, Denon, Radial Eng, Roadready, Global Truss, Ultimate, Elation, Chauvet, ColorKey, Bizzard, Yamaha, and much more...

Comment

Just a thought here about another way to solve the problem:

It might be more cost effective, and more versitile, and possibly easier to use the rig by changing out the threaded pole attachment device in the EV sub to a conventional pole cup that matches the pole cup in your mid-high cabs.

A few years ago the clutch and pressure plate in my forktruck expired. A new clutch and pressure plate was made out of unobtainium... basically I was faced with having a new pressure plate custom built... to the tune of approx. $800 for just the custom built pressure plate, plus another $300 - $400 to have the flywheel trued and buy the specialized clutch disc and a new throw-out bearing. It was way cheaper and actually better to have a common flywheel machined to fit the crank on the motor of my forklift motor and then I was able to use a common pressure place and clutch disc ($180 for the whole package... new custom machined flywheel, standard clutch disc, standard pressure plate, and throw-out bearing).

Comment

It seems more mfgrs now are moving toward using the threaded plates on subs vs the 1 3/8" socket. Newer EV models, JBL SRX, QSC K-Cabs, some RCF and I'm sure some of the other European models that are more recently introduced to the US market.

From a practical standpoint, the threaded pole works better. Once it is seated there is no wobble like you can get with a standard pole that is even slightly loose in the socket.

Obviously the cost of an assembly with a rated threaded component is going to be slightly higher than a simple piece of tubing, although I can see prices are coming down now that other sources are available.
                www.audiopyle.com

Comment

It seems more mfgrs now are moving toward using the threaded plates on subs vs the 1 3/8" socket. Newer EV models, JBL SRX, QSC K-Cabs, some RCF and I'm sure some of the other European models that are more recently introduced to the US market.

From a practical standpoint, the threaded pole works better. Once it is seated there is no wobble like you can get with a standard pole that is even slightly loose in the socket.

Obviously the cost of an assembly with a rated threaded component is going to be slightly higher than a simple piece of tubing, although I can see prices are coming down now that other sources are available.

Personally... I don't see a problem with standard pole and sockets when the stuff's right (as there's generally no wobble when the taper of the pole interfaces with the chamfer of the socket before the pole bottoms out in the socket).

But, I'm very aware of the problems when the projanger on the pole is longer than the socket... and things get wobbly.

So... how's this threaded stuff work? I can't imagine trying to screw an 80lb. (or even 60, or 40lb) mid-high cab down on-top of a pole that's 5ft. in the air. *That* strikes me as absolute madness (but then I'm more of a practical engineer rather than a theoretical engineer).

Comment

Just the end that goes in the sub is threaded - 20mm (.8") coarse thread pitch. Screw it in tight and the shoulder of the tube jams square on top of the plate, no wobble. The end the speaker rests on is normally plain 1 3/8" tubing, although K&M has some models with an expandable mandrel that tightens up inside the pole socket.
                    www.audiopyle.com

Comment

I've got the JBL SRX718 subs. Great subs.

I will not pay the ridiculous price for the JBL poles.

Would it be practical and cheaper to have custom built poles made locally?
                      "If you don't feel like dancing when you play, neither will anyone else." Bassgeek

Musicman StingRay 5 Fretless H Piezo / G&L L2500 MIA / Reverend Rumblefish 5XL
                      Reverend Rumblefish 5L FS PM
                      Epiphone Les Paul
                      Mesa Boogie 400+ (backup amp)
                      Hughes & Kettner Fortress / QSC PLX 1804 / Bergantino NV412
                      Eden WT800B / Peavey 215
                      Markbass Little Mark II (backup amp)
                      Eden Nemesis ENX-260 / Mesa Boogie PH112 / Mesa Boogie PH112

Comment

Working...
                      X