Help with CRaZy PA config (for V-Drums)

• Members

Hello all, i have stumbled across this great forum and am in hope of help. I am a drummer and recently bought a Roland kit. My intentions were at first justified due to the reality of a baby to soon be roaming the airspace but now im questioning them without being able to use them (with others) . I love the kit, but now need amplification. And I know there are many forums out there, but none quite like you guys. Everyone suggests the craziest things anywhere from a keyboard/ bass amp which you all know is insane; to rolands over priced dinky v-drum amp (pm-30). I am in the process of building a PA system for this kit to punch the walls and need some help as I am not an audio guy (I wish I was, I love the stuff, just not smart enough).

So now that I hope im accepted as a newbie, here

• Members

Best drum wedge I ever found was a Yorkville NX750P it's powered speaker with plenty of SPL so you can get that thump in the chest kick out of your e-kit. It's what I use for our drummer that has a TD20 kit.

Same here. My drummer has a TD20 kit and an NX750p as well. Very good drum monitor with lots of thump for the kick.

• Members

okay well you have the 18 driver .. now I assume you have a cabinet, .. not just a driver (google search is only showing the driver.). you also have a top cab.

The sub I am guess is fine, the top cab will work, but its older and seems to less effecent (about 90 Db at 4 volt / 10 feet (not sure what the is at 1 watt/m)) it is a 200 watt 8 ohm speaker. you would be able to run 2 of them off 1 SIDE of the amp if you so desired, but that is all. The amp you have CAN deliver more power then this speaker can handle so if you push down teh gas, the car may explode - so to speak.

I would start of by staking the top cab on the sub to the right of your drum kit facing you .. its a monitor, for you to hear ... don't play it loud - you will kill your hearing. This will work fine for practices.

The good news is that the amp you have has the ability to split the highs and lows up so that you can send lows to the sub, and the highs to the top cab.

you will feed signal to Chanel 1 only (have your kit set up to "mono" ) and turn on the Crossover switch. plug the sub in to ch1, and the top in channel 2. you can , if you want plug in the second top by "daisy chaining " it from the first top cab. You MIGHT be able to do this with the sub as well.

2 speakers will not make it stereo. run mono . no one will care, or appreciate stereo at a gig. Many PA's are run mono - in fact most, even if they CAN be run streo, are used in a mono way.

Anyway , thos are soem random thoughts to get you started.

Have you considered headphones?

• Members

I do use head phones now, and of course the sound is awesome. Im just looking for some juice for jam sessions.

As far as the PA speakers i mentioned, im a bit confused to how the GX5 may blow it as it is rated at 1000W peak.

The black widow is in a nice Cab.

If the two PA's are "daisy chained" into channel 2, is that going to split the 500watts into 250 per speaker? is this enough power to safely run the speakers without causing damage?

I really appreciate everyone's feedback here!

• Members

Also another great source of valuable info. on Roland V drums is their V drum Forum :thu: great folks over their that can clue you in on some good drum settings and other tech stuff for the V drums if need be. :thu:

Check it out if you haven't already.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I just got everything listed above, hooked everything up and feel something is not right. I can crank the amp full blast and it is not all that loud. Both speakers are working, its just really week.. the sound is pretty clear, def no fuzz or anything, just weak. I can hear myself talking for sure... To amend the above, i have the QSC GX5 with a 18'' black widow sub - specs listed. there is a correct on the EV. They are actually EVX 150A rated at 1000w. I only have one hooked up. The cables im using are used. Could this be the problem for it jsut not being that loud? any suggestions???

• Members

I just got everything listed above, hooked everything up and feel something is not right. I can crank the amp full blast and it is not all that loud. Both speakers are working, its just really week.. the sound is pretty clear, def no fuzz or anything, just weak. I can hear myself talking for sure... To amend the above, i have the QSC GX5 with a 18'' black widow sub - specs listed. there is a correct on the EV. They are actually EVX 150A rated at 1000w. I only have one hooked up. The cables im using are used. Could this be the problem for it jsut not being that loud? any suggestions???

V-drum module>amp>speaker= :cry: low volume

V-drum module>mixer>amp>speaker= :eek: loud

Our drummer tried the same thing with his Mackie 1400 amp and a single Yamaha club speaker as a dedicated drum amp and it was wimpy weak hell I could holler louder then what it was dishing out. Of course he's older and wiser then me and I don't know what I'm doing :confused: then I tried and like to blew his head off. :thu:

• Members

Best thing to do is get rid of what you got and get you a Yorkville NX750P and a small $99 Soundcraft mixer hook your V-drum into the mixer run a XLR cable into the NX750P and then watch your volume so the neighbors won't call the cops on you. :cop: If you plan on joining a band later on your gonna need a decent drum wedge anyway. Lugging around a sub along with a top and amp is gonna get old real quick. Plus the NX750P has plenty of SPL (volume) to keep up with a 5 peice rock band end of story.

• Members

Thanks for all the feedback guys it is truly appreciated. I have this PA for sale locally and am going to go with your advise once its sold and pick up a NX750P. In the meantime, can someone help me understand why going through a mixer first makes any difference at all as far as power if the mixer itself is not powered??

• Members

There is a setting in the brain that allows you to modify the kit volume (F1 I think). Is that setting turned up pretty high?

Edit: Oh..and a mixer can be helpful if the Roland brain is sending a weak signal. The mixer has a pre-amp that can be adjusted with the gain/trim knob to bring that weak signal up to a solid line level signal and then sent to the amp via the mixer out.

• Members

i have no idea what a crossover is??

A unit that takes the input signal and separates the subs from the mid/highs (2 way) or subs, mids, highs (3 way). It will clean up the sound because the low freqs do not get sent to the mid/highs, and the mid/high freqs don't get sent to the sub.

My drummer uses the TD 20 and he has a Roland keyboard amp for practice that really works pretty good. You can feel the kick and the overall kit is very loud. It would definitely fill a living room with sound. It makes life easier since it is a single unit.

For rehearsals and gigs we use in ears.

• Members

; to rolands over priced dinky v-drum amp (pm-30). I am in the process of building a PA system for this kit to punch the walls and need some help as I am not an audio guy (I wish I was, I love the stuff, just not smart enough).

So now that I hope im accepted as a newbie, here

Archived