Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick start - Peavey pv14 (you guys were amazing last time, more advise?) )

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't fully see the problem.

If you want to use the internal effects for the monitors, connect the EFX SEND into a free channel.

Adjust how much effected signal you want to send to the monitor mix by adjusting the monitor send on that channel. Adjust how much you want on the main mix with the fader on that channel.

Make sure to keep the EFX aux on that channel at -? or it will create a feedback loop..

The EFX SEND on the PV14 is used for sending the dry signal to an external effects unit, it taps the signal directly before the internal effects generator. It is essentially a post fader aux send...
    Engineering Axiom 21: Whomever has the key should be qualified.

Comment

That would be my recommendation. Not that there's anything wrong with that board, but it doesn't seem to have the features you want.

Maybe, problem is I wouldn't know what equipment WOULD have what I'd need ..

I asked about the single monitor send, if you had two I guess you'd have to send it to different amplifiers/ eqs to get dif mixes, right?

But either way, even if you had two monitor outs, there is NO way to just have effects on the vocal channels, right? I mean it just send a straight signal of everything, mixed according to where you set the monitor knobs for each channel, right ...

And re: effects send, whoa I'm not up to speed enough to digest that yet. You mean, the effect you have it set on will still work for each channel normally, and then you can send that effect via effects send to an open channel, and then only have that channel going to monitor, and that will add that same effect to the entire signal before it goes to a monitor amp? And say I am using a powered monitor, anyway ... with it's own built in effects ... then what would be the point to adding effect to the signal out from the mixer, if I could just add the same thing on the powered mixer running the monitors? No point, right? It would only help if I was using an amplifier with no effects available?

Sorry again for the noob questions, (and I'll do my best not to bristle when I get responded to like a noob, like "good singers shouldn't need effects, they may affect you singing on pitch" - can't say I blame you guys! haha )

Don't you guys wish you were in my band tomorrow night?
      Ha ha, no actually one of the other guys DOES know something about this so I wont be totally on my own setting it up. I am just really wanting to learn it myself ...

Comment

The EFX SEND on the PV14 is used for sending the dry signal to an external effects unit, it taps the signal directly before the internal effects generator. It is essentially a post fader aux send...

I just checked the block diagram, and you're right.
        -

Comment

I just checked the block diagram, and you're right.

I have a PV14 and it's a great little mixer for what it is. For corporate events, fund raisers, and small acoustic gigs, its really tough to beat. I typically use the EFX Send as a second monitor send for the smaller gigs.
          Engineering Axiom 21: Whomever has the key should be qualified.

Comment

Hosa makes a nice little cable that allows you to use the inserts as direct outs. If you have a seperate powered mixer you could use them to tap only the channels you want in the monitors. The majority of the signal you want in the monitors will be the vocals, especially if you have a loud stage level. I've done this for friends that were short on equiptment many times with good results. Remember to use the pans on the powered mixer to get 2 additional monitor sends. Its cheap and works. For the money those little PV series boards are a great bang for the buck. I think Peavey sub'd the building out to the same people that make the Abrahms M1A1 tank LOL. They are next to indestructable.

Comment

Hosa makes a nice little cable that allows you to use the inserts as direct outs. If you have a seperate powered mixer you could use them to tap only the channels you want in the monitors. The majority of the signal you want in the monitors will be the vocals, especially if you have a loud stage level. I've done this for friends that were short on equiptment many times with good results. Remember to use the pans on the powered mixer to get 2 additional monitor sends. Its cheap and works. For the money those little PV series boards are a great bang for the buck. I think Peavey sub'd the building out to the same people that make the Abrahms M1A1 tank LOL. They are next to indestructable.

Thanks - I found the hosa catalog. Overwhelming amount of different cables, you say it is some special kind and not just an instrument cable? Can you help me out by telling me which one it is?

Also, have a questin and for the question, will call the unpowered mixer board "board" and my powered mixer that I am using for the monotor system "mixer" :

wamd I to understand then that I could send my main monitor send from the board to the mixers channel one input, and then use the Hosa cable to go out of the board from the insert on the channel with my vocal, into channel two on the mixer, and therefore mix in more of my vocal in the overall monitor mix?

Comment

Working...
              X