Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. You might get away with a bit beyond this ... but not 300 feet and we don't know how far you intend to throw. You mentioned 1 1/2 times an American football field. That's 450 feet. For that distance you need two ranks of delay towers if you expect any clarity.
    Don Boomer

Comment

Also, another poster mentioned 300,000 watts of power for FOH. What do you reckon yourself? That sounds like overkill to me..

That was the system I did for Ozzfest. All outdoors. At some venues we needed to throw over two hundred feet and had audiences of up to 15 thousand metal fans. it was appropriate for those events. We started out with a system that was about 200,000W but it just didn't have enough punch so we added another 100,000W after the first couple of shows.

http://www.peavey.com/news/article.cfm/action/view/id/256/20070905.cfm
      Don Boomer

Comment

Yes. You might get away with a bit beyond this ... but not 300 feet and we don't know how far you intend to throw. You mentioned 1 1/2 times an American football field. That's 450 feet. For that distance you need two ranks of delay towers if you expect any clarity.

Cool, now I'm starting to get the picture. Gaelic games pitches are indeed about 450 feet long. I should be somewhere between 50-100 feet from the stage but the crowd shouldn't fill to much farther than another 50-100 feet behind me (and that's really only if the team win, the place might be nearly empty if they lose!). I'll have to check the specs of our own amps but I think I should be able to put at least a couple of thousand watts into our own tops and use them as the delay tower. Now I'm wondering about coverage for the stand. I might look into patching into the house PA (big ugly horns) just for the MC and speeches and then turn off that send when the band is going.
        Again, I have to ask about wattage. Would, say 50,000 watts cover everyone between the stage and the delay tower?
        flip the phase

Comment

That was the system I did for Ozzfest. All outdoors. At some venues we needed to throw over two hundred feet and had audiences of up to 15 thousand metal fans. it was appropriate for those events. We started out with a system that was about 200,000W but it just didn't have enough punch so we added another 100,000W after the first couple of shows.

http://www.peavey.com/news/article.cfm/action/view/id/256/20070905.cfm

That sounds like a whole truckload of amps!

I don't think we'll need that much power, there will be kids in the crowd for a start and it's Irish rebel songs, best compared to Bluegrass with electric bass and rock-ish drumming
          flip the phase

Comment

Again, I have to ask about wattage. Would, say 50,000 watts cover everyone between the stage and the delay tower?

It depends on the sensitivity/efficiency of the speakers and your desired level.
            Don Boomer

Comment

That sounds like a whole truckload of amps!

About 40 Crest Pro 9200's and another dozen or so 7200's if I remember.
              Don Boomer

Comment

It depends on the sensitivity/efficiency of the speakers and your desired level.

Well, I've been talking Deltamax since the beginning of the thread, so, would 50k of Deltamax do the job of making the band heard over the hum of around 20,000 people without damaging children's ears?
                flip the phase

Comment

Ok, thanks to all who replied.
                  I'm just gonna have to go with whatever the hire company provide and set up a delay tower behind the mix booth. It'll be a day of learning for me and there will be 5-6 hours between setup and showtime to rearrange the array and tower, so hopefully it'll end up a good show. I know I can put up a good mix anyway :thu:
                  Thanks again,
                  ad
                  flip the phase

Comment

Why are you trying to do the thinking for the rental company?

I can't believe that a compnay that could furnish this kind of gear wouldn't have some very good engineers on staff to lay this out properly for you.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">Uhhhhhh the &quot;Money for Nothing&quot; program was such a huge success we ran out of money. Uhhhh but don't worry, we're gonna uhhhhhh print more money and extend the program.</div>

Comment

Yeah, part of the fee of hiring the company should be their expertise in specing out a system like this. You keep on bringing up Deltamaxes. DML's are a medium throw box at best. They might serve as a 2nd delay zone to catch the last 100' of the field, if you stick them up on some tall scaffolding. They would better served as front fills for a system of this size. Your job as the BE should be to get the hire co. your input list and stage plot and then just enjoy mixing on system of that size.

Comment

Ok, thanks to all who replied.
                        I'm just gonna have to go with whatever the hire company provide and set up a delay tower behind the mix booth. It'll be a day of learning for me and there will be 5-6 hours between setup and showtime to rearrange the array and tower, so hopefully it'll end up a good show. I know I can put up a good mix anyway :thu:
                        Thanks again,
                        ad

5-6 hours between setup and showtime won't be enough time to wipe your ass, no less enough time to reposition a delay tower or rearrange an array. I suggest that you have no real clue regarding how long a setup like this generally takes, nor the labor and logistics involved. (ps... I do)

Take off an hour for door time and you have 4-5 hours. Unloading a truck or two with that much gear might take that long, especially if you have top cart it over field protection.

Are you really doing this or is this some kind of bad troll dream?

Comment

Strat tool and Special J make good points, and my original thoughts.

When I have to mix a band in a stadium they're either opening for another band, and the PA is already spec'd, tuned, and aligned, or I just tell the SR company vaguely what I'd like to see and they put it together for me. This is why they send out system techs, to set up a system they know inside and out.

You should be talking to the SR company about this, not an internet forum.

Comment

Why are you trying to do the thinking for the rental company?

I can't believe that a compnay that could furnish this kind of gear wouldn't have some very good engineers on staff to lay this out properly for you.

Well, I'd like to have gotten some good information from on here so as to go to the rental company with a clear idea of what we needed. My experience with rental companies has been a bit hit and miss in the past, i.e supplying what's convenient for them rather than what the show actually needs. It's likely that 1 or 2 riggers will show up in the morning, set up, and disappear for the day until it's time for teardown.. Nevermind, I'll do the best I can with what I have, I always do :thu:
                            flip the phase

Comment

Strat tool and Special J make good points, and my original thoughts.

When I have to mix a band in a stadium they're either opening for another band, and the PA is already spec'd, tuned, and aligned, or I just tell the SR company vaguely what I'd like to see and they put it together for me. This is why they send out system techs, to set up a system they know inside and out.

You should be talking to the SR company about this, not an internet forum.

See previous post
                              flip the phase

Comment

5-6 hours between setup and showtime won't be enough time to wipe your ass, no less enough time to reposition a delay tower or rearrange an array. I suggest that you have no real clue regarding how long a setup like this generally takes, nor the labor and logistics involved. (ps... I do)

Take off an hour for door time and you have 4-5 hours. Unloading a truck or two with that much gear might take that long, especially if you have top cart it over field protection.

Are you really doing this or is this some kind of bad troll dream?

I meant 5-6 hours tweak time after everything has been initially installed and powered up. We'll be there at 9 in the morning, showtime is 9pm. Thanks for assuming I'm some sort of dip****************. I've 300+ shows done with this band and repeat business is strong. The reason we were booked for this show is that we're the only local outfit capable of carrying it off. I've never done a stadium show before and I came on here expecting some good advice, not to be talked to like I'm handicapped.

My original question, tho garbled, was basically:- How big a pa do we need and what type of pattern. Thanks anyway...
                                flip the phase

Comment

Working...
                                X