Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What "spec" don't you like about the PreSonus DigiMAX FS? Maybe the price?

The I/O. I use a Digimax 96 in my Pro Tools rig. The ADA8000 I/O options make it more useful to record live. I don't mind paying for a high quality unit if it does what I need it to. I'm too old to make a cheap price one of the top priorities in a purchase. I have wasted enough money doing this band thing. It really is cheaper in the long run to buy high quality gear the first time.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson

Band promo shots on railroad tracks were cool in 1981...

Comment

The I/O.
      What don't you like about the I/O?

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

Comment

No it is not a POS. It would also be accepted on some mid-level riders. The Blowinger won't.
        Yup, Behringer definitely lacks snob appeal .

Comment

While I'm far from a Behringer fanboy, I have and do use a few pieces of their gear and they have done the job. I'd be interested to know how this new line of mixers functions, as the only Behringer mixer I've been around was in use by the "provided" sound for our band at a gig. They guy didn't have a clue and really had no business running sound (or at least charging for it). Other than the channels being WAY too hot for my liking (gains on drums had to be cranked hard left to prevent the channels from clipping), it sound OK and we got through the night. In my BE gig, we have Behringer gates for drums, which work just fine and have caused no problems, and I do have a Behringer compressor/gate in my bass rig that functions just fine.

If it works for you: buy it, use it, enjoy it, and rock on! As has been mentioned, in the long run you may be happier spending a little more money, but you have to determine what will work in your situation.

Comment

Other than the channels being WAY too hot for my liking (gains on drums had to be cranked hard left to prevent the channels from clipping), it sound OK and we got through the night.
            That's what XLR-to-TRS adapters and the line inputs are for .

Comment

What don't you like about the I/O?

I just looked into the FS. I had used the original Digimax and moved to the 96k. They did not offer a balanced 1/4" in. I picked up the ADA8000 because it allowed me to run individual sends into my PT rig. Now I see the FS has that capability so I will be picking one up. I never looked to see that the Presonus now offered 1/4" ins.
              "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson

Band promo shots on railroad tracks were cool in 1981...

Comment

That's what XLR-to-TRS adapters and the line inputs are for .

True...but I'd rather call it cr@ppy design. I've never had this problem with another mixer (this on was a Eurorack UB2442-FX Pro that was brand new). I'd be willing to give another model a try, but if this is standard for the Eurorack mixers, I'd have to discount them from anything I would ever seek to own.

Comment

Now I see the FS has that capability so I will be picking one up.
                  Hey if you want to junk those ADA8000's I'd be happy to assist - even pay the shipping. Selling them would be unethical .

Comment

To the OP, you may want to look around for something on the used market. Although also not the most popular item in the world, I use a Mackie SR24-4 VLZ PRO (20 mic inputs, 6 auxes, etc.) that my buddy picked up in like-new condition, with a road case, for $500. It's been bullet proof going on 5 years now of regular gigging.

Comment

True...but I'd rather call it cr@ppy design.
                      Yah, the MixWiz I'm using gets overloaded with the line out from the keyboard amp so I have to use a inline pad in addition to the mixer's pad switch - must be another crappy design .

Comment

There are numerous reports of problems getting Presonus units and Yamaha digital consoles to work reliably. It appears that syncing the Yamaha to the Presonus works fine. The problem is that if the Presonus goes down in that scenario, you lose everything since the board has lost its clock.

If you sync the Presonus to the Yamaha, there are a number of people with units that exhibit anywhere from minor to major problems. It appears to be a Presonus issue since most manufacturers have no issue with Yamaha products.

Read at least one thread here...
                        http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/451591/47100/0///91/#msg_451591

I personally like Presonus, but won't buy one that I have to rely on until these types of reports die off. My ADA8000's are not problematic at this point. They do what they say better than I expected of them and in more than a year of use have given me exactly zero problems. With that said I carry one spare (they are that cheap...) since I do know the Behringer reputation.

Comment

The XL2400 has 16 mic inputs plus 4 stereo channels - I'd get that instead if I was looking at this series of mixers.

I had considered it, but the 1600 will fit into a mixer-rack and be a bit more portable for me. However, I haven't completely ruled it out.

Thanks
                          mike

Comment

Yah, the MixWiz I'm using gets overloaded with the line out from the keyboard amp so I have to use a inline pad in addition to the mixer's pad switch - must be another crappy design .

Common sense dictates that a line out of a keyboard would go to a direct box with a pad of some sort, that argument holds no water.

Comment

Main problem with Behringer is that it is so inexpensive people are too cheap to buy cases for it and they end up getting banged around WAY more than the higher prices stuff. Heck, I even have one of their two mic input mixers that I have a case for.

I agree with your reasoning. I can't help but think that a lot of Behringer complaints stem from improper handling or inexperience.

If I drive a Chevy Citation, I will probably not get as pissed when the doors get dinged. However, If I drive my Corvette, I will probably park in an empty area near the far edge of the lot.

I tend to take caution to the extreme. I bought a nice, foam-padded case for my little Behringer 802 mixer just to be safe. At regular price, the case cost more than my mixer.

Research has shown that people get angry or lash out at others only when they realize they have screwed up, themselves.

I can't help but think that the modulusman is lashing out at me only because he fried his Behringer equipment while having a brain fart.

It's a shame he has to act this way. He may have 1000+ valid, helpful replies, but it only takes one asinine reply to invalidate them all.

Comment

I had considered it, but the 1600 will fit into a mixer-rack and be a bit more portable for me. However, I haven't completely ruled it out.
                                It is nice to have them 16 mic channels - especially if you are going to buy a 16 channel snake. If rackmounting is important to you a MixMiz is only about $900 new, I think the XL2400 is about $650? I'd love to play with one but I recently got my unused DDX3216 digital mixer for about that .

Comment

Working...
                                X