JBL SRX set VS KV2 EX set

• Members

I know that passive and active speakers are 2 different worlds, but just based on quality and volume, how would you compare the two following setups. Also how big of a crowd do you think each setup should be able to handle?

1. 2 JBL SRX728's powered by a Crown I-Tech6000 in stereo(3000watt/box)

2 JBL SRX722's bi-amp's(I-Tech4000 in stereo for bottoms, xti-1000 in stereo for highs)

A dbx driverack for all the processing

2. 2 KV2 EX2.5's for subs

2 KV2 EX12's for mains

dbx active speaker driverack for all processing

• Members

Well I can compare 4 SRX718S's powered by and Itech6K and 2 SRX715's powered by and Itech4K with 2 EX2.2's.

We (band) greatly prefer the EX2.2's over the SRX718S's. The sound better, provide more punch and are a much more flexible option. Do a search you will find the review in this forum.

BTW- for both setups you listed neither one needs a Driverack. And certainly not the KV2 setup. The SRX rig has the processing in the amp so the drive rack is redundant and the KV2's have the processing built in.

• Members

Ned is spot on. The KV2 system will simply out perform the SRX system.

If you're looking for an esoteric sound quality that is plug and play there are few more capable systems available.

While KV2 certainly has a good reputation, the EX 2.2 won't "out perform" the SRX if extended low frequency is needed.

Winston

• Members

well the 2.5's go lower than the 2.2's. Any online dealers for KV2? i'm having a hard time finding any so I can't guesstimate prices.

also, would that amp be a poor match for 2 srx728's? what would you recommend?

• Members

In looking at the EX2.2 specs on KV2's website, I see two very different numbers for its response. Their webpage says, -3dB at 45hz but their PDF file says -3dB at 38hz. do any of you guy's know which is right? Seems like the first one is and the other is a misprint from the 2.5, but what do I know?

Winston

• Members

I would say that 1 SRX722 over 1 SRX728 should cover 300-400 people indoor with rock music. Also get your horns in the air, I would put the center of the horn up at 7' and add a set of front fills to cover the first few rows.

SRX728s does hit lower and hard than a KV2 EX2.2.

• Members

A dual 18" weighing in at 167 pounds that requires a very large amplifier ought to hit lower/louder than a self powered dual 12" that weighs a hundred pounds.

However the EX2.2 comes very very close in performance and I'd much rather move it around than the JBL. Space is also another consideration, the SRX728 takes up 19.25 cubic feet of space vs. the EX2.2's 6.36 cubic feet.

• Members

Actually both JBL and Crown call for 1600 into each cone.

IME, I have seen a lot more damaged JBL product powered this way. Even they don't powere their own powered speakers this way... they power much closer to the RMS rating because they are more obligated to honor warranties on a self powered product.

IME, around 800-1000 watts per driver is just about the point of diminishing returns. Power compression begins eating up the SPL gains anyway, while the potential for damage gets much greater.

• Members

Ned is spot on. The KV2 system will simply out perform the SRX system.

If you're looking for an esoteric sound quality that is plug and play there are few more capable systems available.

then later said:

A dual 18" weighing in at 167 pounds that requires a very large amplifier ought to hit lower/louder than a self powered dual 12" that weighs a hundred pounds.

However the EX2.2 comes very very close in performance and I'd much rather move it around than the JBL. Space is also another consideration, the SRX728 takes up 19.25 cubic feet of space vs. the EX2.2's 6.36 cubic feet.

(I don't know how to do 2 quotes in one post)

I have a small bit on contention when I see someone who does sell KVaudio stuff do these types of comparisons as if to sell right here at the forum. Literally this isn't happening but the line between advice and sales pitch starts to blur. Sorry bill, just my observation. I am not in retail, however I remember those days and did a lot of selling 10 years ago. Back then what we sold were the best thing in it's class too, and our competitors didn't hold a candle to what we were doing.

So comparing a passive sub with no power to an active sub is basically impossible. Crown recommends one thing, crown dealers another, JBL another, QSC would like a say, so would everyone else too. And processing? Too many variables.

Let me phrase it like this. What gear I have right now is not a variable, it's what I got (different than what most people have). The OP has a certain setup as well and hopefully for everyone has correct power, processing, gain structure AND can mix.

All that being said, in my circumstance: I'd pick the SRX728s (again, I have 1 pair). Yes you have to put wheels on the back, yes put 4" rubber feet on the bottom (er side). Who takes these out of the box and takes them to the gig? It's not practicle, certain things have to be done to these to make them more person freindly (not a knock on this product but many speakers etc need a few tweeks before heading out to a gig, ergonomic usually).

sorry for the long post

p

• Members

the KV2 does not go near as low at the JBL. Now I do not know if that matters for you but if playing modern dance music through it, the JBL will sound better as much of that content hits in the 30's. The KV2 goes down to 45.

• Members

the KV2 does not go near as low at the JBL. Now I do not know if that matters for you but if playing modern dance music through it, the JBL will sound better as much of that content hits in the 30's. The KV2 goes down to 45.

Have you actually listened to both of them?

The specs are a little different in the website:

http://www.kv2audio.com/product.asp?ProdID=EX2.5&ProdSeries=EX

• Members

I was asking about the the EX2.5's, not the 2.2's. Sorry for the confusion.

Also, a side question about powering the SRX728's. If you are powering them in parallel(4ohm), would give 2000watts per box, or how would you do it?

• Members

oh the 2.5 looks to be on par with the 728.

now the 2.2 NOT a chance.

And that would be by specs only, I suppose?

You know, I'm a bass player. Ampeg makes a bass amp called SVT4-Pro that's 1200W@4ohm, GK happens to make another head that's called 800RB, 300W@4ohm. The 800RB is louder any day of the week... Strange huh? :thu:

• Members

And that would be by specs only, I suppose?

You know, I'm a bass player. Ampeg makes a bass amp called SVT4-Pro that's 1200W@4ohm, GK happens to make another head that's called 800RB, 300W@4ohm. The 800RB is louder any day of the week... Strange huh?
:thu:

I have heard both the 2.5 and the 728. They are both great sounding boxes. I would say the 728 is maybe more extended and accurate. The 2.5 has serious "wow" factor in terms of output versus size. I can't honestly say which hits harder, as I haven't heard them back to back in similar conditions, but I will say I consider them to be in the same class.

Honestly, performance would not be a holdup for me with either system. Bigger considerations would be a user's needs in terms of packaging, coverage, dealer setup and support, cost of ownership, and suitability/marketability for your local market.

• Members

ya and the 2.2 has no chance.

It is very hard for a small box to go low. I have heard the JBL many times and it does pound and get darn low. I can go demo a 2.2 at any time and I just might do that as I know a guy locally who has it but even he says it does not pound like a nice 18" as he used to have a LS808.

I do not even think this is fair to compare 2.5 to a dual 18. What is fair is the 718 (single 18) compared to the 2.2

I would bet the 2.5 is close to the 728 though!

• Members

It is very hard for a small box to go low. I have heard the JBL many times and it does pound and get darn low. I can go demo a 2.2 at any time and I just might do that as I know a guy locally who has it but even he says it does not pound like a nice 18" as he used to have a LS808.

I might be wrong, but I don't usually compare music gear by "how does it pound" or "how low it goes". I'd rather ask "how good does it sound?" or "how musical is it?", "how appropriate is it for what I do?". Some subs out there pound so hard and go so low that the bass sounds like one note, you don't really distinguish what the guy is playing. This sub will obviously have impressive specs but is it going to complement the band's performance or be a star on it's own?

I haven't heard the EX2.2 and I'm not trying to say that it's better than any other sub out there, but from what I read KV2 speakers have that studio quality that some of us crave in live speakers. It's the characteristic sound of those legendary systems, like Meyer or Clair that seem to belong in another sphere of audio pleasure. I've heard top dollar speakers and even in low SPL there's something about them that's worth the extra dollar, and it's not the ability to pound or go low, but the velvet quality of some frequencies, how they are able to transmit the emotion from the artist to the crowd. Sometimes we forget that audio is also an art! :thu:

Archived