question re: peavey pv14 mixer/ p.a. system - help appreciated!

• Members

We have 2 Mackie swa1501 subs and 2 Mackie srm450v2s. I just got a great deal on a Peavey pv14 unpoowered mixer. I don't know much about it, can take it back within 30 days if I don't like it. I have several questions:

1. Some people say the built in effects are very good, others say they are slightly sub-par. I know it's up to me to try it to see how it sounds, just wondered if there are any opinions?

2. One drawback people mention is that there is only 1 monitor send. Why is this? Because it limits your ability to have different volume levels for different monitors? The bass player owns a 1200 watt amplifier that he says can be used for monitors, and it has a stereo out and seperate volume controls, so I am assuming that negates that problem. But as I said, it belongs to him. So later if we ever part ways, I guess I'd be using one of my powered monitors and speakers for the monitor system. So that would be an issue, right? Sorry if it seems like I am asking stupid, obvious things ... one thing I could do later would be to add other powered monitors, with volume knobs on the back like these 450s have, is that right? Do a lot of powered monitors have volume levels on them? I hate to be thinking so far ahead and have no reason to believe that that we will be losing our bassist any time soon, just wondering if anyone here would be thinking that they would be unhappy down the line with just one monitor send, and it seems silly to think I'd have to buy more gear just for that issue some day, when I own two powered monitors already ...

3. Another drawback people talk about is the lack of "sub groups" - or "clusters" or something - I am not even sure I am wording that right but assume some here will know what I mean. What does it mean? Do people groups the signal from all the drum mics together somehow, or something?

4. No compression capability for the channels. People talked about not being able to put compression on the vocal mics. Would that be an issue for anyone, or will the Mackie powered system sound fine? Sorry again for the dumb questions, I know I'll hear it myself, it's just that I have very limited experiance with sound equipment, and I'm not sure I'll recognize if it is lacking, when I have not worked with better ..

5, Also, only a 3 band EQ on the individual channels. Some have 4, I guess. Does that make for vastly superior sound? Or will the Mackie stuff shine like they claim they will, due to the crossovers and efficiency of the powered speakers, etc?

Thanks.

• Members

I've never used that particular mixer but can help with a little input.

As far as one monitor send. That means you can only have one mix, you could send it to various amps and powered speakers and control the level of each but each one will have the same mix. If your singer needs more vocals and your guitarist needs more guitar you are out of luck. It can be done but a lot of bands prefer at least 2 mixes.

Subgroups allow you to mix certain channels together before sending to the mains. This can be handy with a lot of drum mics as you can control them all with one fader. There are also a ton of strange and out of the ordinary uses for them but they aren't absoloutely neccessary and are usually not found on a small board.

Compression built into an analog board is very rare (I only know of Yamaha putting it in the channel strip). Standard when using compression is to use the channel insert to an outboard compression unit.

4 Bands of EQ is immensly helpful but isn't a deal breaker. It's always a trade off for features. More can be better or simplicity can be better, all depends on your needs and your skill level.

I'm a big fan of the Yamah MG166cx console.

10 mic inputs plus 2 stereo inputs.

2 pre fader aux sends for two monitor mixes.

Built in FX (on a fader for the return which I personally like).

Compression built into the first 6 channels.

2 stereo sub groups.

Still only has 3 band EQ with 1 being sweepable though.

$350-400 new

Also almost everyone here is a big proponent for the MixWiz but it's price goes up a lot. It's very rugged and feature laden though and is just about the first board in the price range that has a really complete feature set without cutting many corners.

• Members

K I just took a look at the PV14.

Sweetwater listed it at $299. If you paid that I would personally pay the extra $50 and get the Yamaha MG166cx.

Another big reason is it is rackmountable without any additional hardware needed, every mixer for a band needs to go in something to protect it (even a backpack or something) otherwise you WILL break off knobs or just get really annoyed that your passenger seat (or passengers lap) is taken up by a mixer.

It also just overall has a little better and less confusing layout (to my eyes at least) and has more things on faders instead of knobs.

However I will say the Peavey mixers have a pretty good reputation on quality. I don't think you will have any issue with the Peavey as long as it fits your needs. If you don't need any more than what it has nothing wrong with it. I like Peavey stuff too.

• Members

1 - Effects are ok, very usable and you won't use more than a little reverb here and there for most applications, anyway...

2 - That sucks...

3 - I don't use subgroups anyway...

4 - How come? You can insert a compressor to any of the 10 first channels...

5 - A sweepable mid frequency helps quite a lot, I'm not sure if I understand the second part of your question...

• Members

I have a used a PV20 which has the built-in FX also, Mackie Onyx that does not have FX, and A&H GL2400 with no FX. IMO the built-in FX are good enough for live shows. Unless you want some multi-functional FX in your mix you would need an outboard FX unit. For "most" live shows a simple reverb and delay is sufficient. For my mixers that do not have FX built-in, I do run an outboard FX unit. I find myself just settling for the simple reverb and delay. So to answer your first question, YES the built-in should be "good enough" for most live shows.

The PV20 has 2 monitor sends and sometimes it is limiting for me. I rent out PA locally and depending on what type of music and how many pieces the bands has I find myself needing more than two monitor sends. When I was using my PV20 I would feed mons 1 & 2 from one send and mons 3 & 4 from the other so when I want to adjust volume on mon 1, mon 2 would get the same adjustment. Ideally you want to have one send to each monitor.

I'll let the more knowledgable guys answer the other questions.

Edit: I've also used the Yamaha MG series mixers. I would agree that for roughly the same price the Yamaha mg16 has better built-in FX and features:

16 input channels

High-quality mic preamp

10 Mic inputs, four stereo line inputs

HPF

8 insert I/O

6 Compressors

Phantom power switch (+ 48V)

Illuminated CH ON switches

3-band Mid-sweep EQ (Ch 1-8)

60mm super-smooth fader

2-band EQ (Ch 9/10-15/16)

SPX diigital multi-effect

6 busses (Stereo + 4 groups)

Monitor mix

2 Aux sends + 1 Effect send

Lightweight (12 lbs)

1 Stereo Aux return

12-seg LED level meter

Neutrik

• Members

Are these usable at all?

For drums and bass they work great. I do use a little compression on vocals but not much. What I like is that it is not as complex as a traditional compressor. The one knob operation keeps it simple and I like simple. :thu:

• Members

I'd be pretty unhappy with only one monitor mix. It's not likely you'll all be happy with the same mix in all monitors.

Keep in mind Mackie SRM450s don't make very good monitors. Mine work great up on stands, but I've had them on the floor as monitors twice now and they're overheated and shut down both times. Other people have reported the same problem, although it doesn't happen to everybody. Mine are Version 1. Not sure if version 2 is more stable or not.

• Members

Some other not so obvious pluses for the PV:

1. Universal input internal switching power supply. Meaning you can travel anywhere with it and it will work. It also means you don't have a giant lump to account for, that could induce hum into other audio equipment.

2. 5 year warranty.

3. An actual fader for each master output, a left and a right. I found that a single not only eliminates the ability to separately control your two bus levels, but it also is prone to large amounts of high frequency crosstalk.

4. If we are comparing Sweetwater prices, the Yamaha is $129 more, not $50. At least from what I'm seeing, maybe I'm missing something.

5. Multiple clip detection points in the channels and summing bus clip indication. We sample the channel at 3 different points for clipping making sure if the channel is clipping the mixer will let you know. I can't say for sure that the Yamaha doesn't have this, but most mixers don't. Also, if your summing amps are clipping, the red lights at the top of the master array will light and let you know. This can happen even if the master faders are all the way down, letting you know it's the summing amps. Even though this is a point that is easy to clip (it's where all of the channels are combined) I can't think of another mixer (other than other Peavey's) that has this feature.

But, with all that said, the Yamaha has some features we don't. It's more money too, so that's to be expected. You just have to figure out which things are important to you, and spend your money wisely.

Of course, the disclaimer, I work for Peavey and designed the PV mixers.

• Members

Yea the one monitor send is gonna be a PITA because if your drummer is like my drummer, he'll want his own personal custom monitor mix which is basically the FOH mix with our drummer with his e-kit on top off the mix.. Unlike my front wedge which has vocals and acoustic guitar only.

I use to own the board myself, but the one monitor send was the reason I sold it. Now I have 4 monitor send with my PV RQ2314 mixer which is a older PV mixer and 2 of the aux send are post fade, but actually that post fade send comes in handy when our drummer brings in his Mackie amp and Yamaha Clubs for the big stages.

From my short experience with the mixer it had great mic pre's which are way hotter then the RQ mic pre's I'm using now the EQ's were very musical, the built in effect was good enough to please our singer remember a little reverb goes a long ways in reverberant rooms to begin with. Only downside I had with it was just the 1 monitor send. Other then that I love it. IMO it sounded better then my older RQ2314 I'm using now.

Archived