Aux send/return?

• Members

Hi folks, :wave:

I posted this over in the recording forum but I thought I'd try my luck over here too. Can someone take a few minutes and tell me if I understand the concept of aux send/return? I know they can be used for applying an effect to one or more channels, but do they have be used together or can I use the aux send without the aux return? Like can I send a sub-mix to my monitor through the "aux pre"?

I guess what I mean to ask is can the aux out be used to send a discreet mix to a separate output (ie: not the main out)?

Thanks!

• Members

thats the idea. pre fader auxes are good for things like monitors because you would not want the level of the monitor to go down because you turn down the channel volum in FOH. and post fader auxes are for effects and other things that you would generally want to also be linked to the fader.

aux sends and aux returns are not technically linked to each other until you connect the cable. thats why some mixers have less aux returns than sends. because some of the auxes sends will not need a return.

• Members

Aux sends and aux returns have NOTHING to do with each other. Use a send to send something somewhere else. Use a return to get something to that main L/R buss with-out that pesky EQ or aux sends getting in the way. 1 knob and the signal is headed out the main outs.

• Members

I'm thinking about buying a little Rolls mixer (RM-65b). It doesn't have an Aux send but it does have an FX send and a Monitor send. Are these more or less the same thing as an Aux send?

Yes, they are. Those are interchangable words.

Aux send = monitor send = effects send

Archived