Instrumental Microphones

• Members

The 57 is alright i just wanted something better.. i will spend up to $500 but looking to comfortable spend about $300. I play solo events just me my guitar and me singing.. I am running the acoustic through a Roland Ac-60 acoustic amp... and i am using a Taylor 414ce with the expression system

• Members

If you are willing to spend 300 - 500 why not get a sweet pickup installed in your acoustic. I mean if a pickup is good enough for dave matthews it would have to serve you as well, and you have an acoustic amp. At first i thought you were going through the house pa or something.

• Members

If your stage set isn't too big and is very chillax sit-down acoustic-y type, you could try going with a condensor. Try out the MXL 990, biggest bang for the buck. The MXL 990 itself is around $150, but I think the package with the 991 is only $80:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXL-990MXL-991-Recording-Microphone-Package?sku=273166

Weird huh?

But yea, my friend used this for his acoustic gig, and it sounded AMAZING.

• Members

Any suggestions on a good instrumental mic.... i have the sm57 but i am looking to upgrade???

Upgrade??....I didnt know there was anything better than a 57 except maybe a Beta 57. Best all around durable mic out there!! IMO

• Members

Upgrade??....I didnt know there was anything better than a 57 except maybe a Beta 57. Best all around durable mic out there!! IMO

Yea you can upgrade the mic transformer in those sm57's and replace them with a Telefunken transformer. Probably even sound better then the beta version I dunno i don't own a beta version I do own the new transformer for my sm57 for all my studio work. however for live I use Senns. e609 because I don't have to drag around mini boom stands which can cause low end rumble FB. I just drape those Senns over the halfstacks and dail in a eq and I'm done. Andy might say their hyped but heck they don't cost much and they do make the sm57 mid's sound better at least that's what I trick my mind into thinking. I dunno Fletcher over at Mercenary never stirred me in the wrong direction yet with my recording gear.

Archived