No announcement yet.

Instrumental Microphones

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instrumental Microphones

Any suggestions on a good instrumental mic.... i have the sm57 but i am looking to upgrade??? i am looking to use it with my acoustic guitars during live performances

What's your budget? SM57 is not a good mic for acoustic guitar their design more for electric guitar cabs. Personally only place I like them on is a snare.

Comment

Do you play solo or with a band?
      Is there a pickup installed in the guitar or will the mic be the only method of amplification?
      Do you run the acoustic through stage monitors?
      And yes, what is your budget?

Comment

I thought you were happy with your 57?

A57 may be a great mic for acoustic depending on the application.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

The 57 is alright i just wanted something better.. i will spend up to $500 but looking to comfortable spend about $300. I play solo events just me my guitar and me singing.. I am running the acoustic through a Roland Ac-60 acoustic amp... and i am using a Taylor 414ce with the expression system

Comment

If you are willing to spend 300 - 500 why not get a sweet pickup installed in your acoustic. I mean if a pickup is good enough for dave matthews it would have to serve you as well, and you have an acoustic amp. At first i thought you were going through the house pa or something.

Comment

I have both an acoustic amp and pa system... Amp is for small gigs, PA for the few times i have larger gigs

Comment

You should try an SM81 (if you have phantom power available). See if you can borrow or rent one for a show. They're not too expensive, either.

Comment

The Audio Technica AE-5400 does a nice job with acoustic guitars. They would be my first choice.
                  Engineering Axiom 21: Whomever has the key should be qualified.

Comment

If your stage set isn't too big and is very chillax sit-down acoustic-y type, you could try going with a condensor. Try out the MXL 990, biggest bang for the buck. The MXL 990 itself is around $150, but I think the package with the 991 is only $80:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXL-990MXL-991-Recording-Microphone-Package?sku=273166

Weird huh?

But yea, my friend used this for his acoustic gig, and it sounded AMAZING.

Comment

Beware, the condensers being mentioned don't play all that well with any real stage volume or monitor volume.

A good pickup would be my first choice.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Any suggestions on a good instrumental mic.... i have the sm57 but i am looking to upgrade???

Upgrade??....I didnt know there was anything better than a 57 except maybe a Beta 57. Best all around durable mic out there!! IMO

Comment

I would check here. (LR Baggs)
                          http://www.myspace.com/steverobertband
                          Fav. Quote: "Be the change you want to see in the world."

Comment

Upgrade??....I didnt know there was anything better than a 57 except maybe a Beta 57. Best all around durable mic out there!! IMO

Yea you can upgrade the mic transformer in those sm57's and replace them with a Telefunken transformer. Probably even sound better then the beta version I dunno i don't own a beta version I do own the new transformer for my sm57 for all my studio work. however for live I use Senns. e609 because I don't have to drag around mini boom stands which can cause low end rumble FB. I just drape those Senns over the halfstacks and dail in a eq and I'm done. Andy might say their hyped but heck they don't cost much and they do make the sm57 mid's sound better at least that's what I trick my mind into thinking. I dunno Fletcher over at Mercenary never stirred me in the wrong direction yet with my recording gear.

Comment

A quality pickup will be much easier to get a good sound out of in most live situations. Note that of there's not a preamp/buffer, you'll need an active DI for its higher input impedance (Countryman Type 85, Radial PZDI).

Comment

Working...
                              X