SPL meter

• Members

It's hard to beat the $50 RadioShack meters. If you don't need scientific precision, you're probably fine with one of those. Galaxy Audio also makes meters, and I think they may have a model right at $100. (Well, I don't know if they make them - maybe they just distribute them...)

Edit:

Ah yes, here's one - and for rather less than $100: http://www.zzounds.com/item--GXYCM130

• Moderators

so would this be good for measuring a loudspeaker.i i read that the cheap ones may give 2 db more or less,would that be acceptable if ur installing a club audio system.??

I don't see why not. 3dBA is the threshold level change where the averaage person notices a change in loudness. Club installations are more about what sounds "good" than what's accurate.

Having said that, I use $9,000 B&K SPL meters at my day job, and I was pretty horrified to see how bad a Radio Shack meter really is. It's quite a bit worse than +/- 2dBA, especially if you compare it with broadband noise (e.g. music) rather than a 1kHz calibrator.

Terry D.

• Members

I don't see why not. 3dBA is the threshold level change where the averaage person notices a change in loudness. Club installations are more about what sounds "good" than what's accurate.

Having said that, I use $9,000 B&K SPL meters at my day job, and I was pretty horrified to see how bad a Radio Shack meter really is. It's quite a bit worse than +/- 2dBA, especially if you compare it with broadband noise (e.g. music) rather than a 1kHz calibrator.

Terry D.

So how far off +/- are the Rad Shack units?

• Members

So how far off +/- are the Rad Shack units?

IMHO, if you are loud enough that it matters, you are too loud.

If you are clipping the iPhone mic, you really should turn down, but you won't kill anyone unless the mix is really bright.

StudioSixDigital is coming out with a calibrated mic that solves the dB ceiling problem. Someone else (M-Audio Maybe?) has a non-calibrated mic that I think also solves the problem.

• Members

IMHO, if you are loud enough that it matters, you are too loud.

But we've played some clubs where the owner wanted a dB reading from a meter. He had no idea of what brand of meter or whether it was calibrated to be even in the ballpark of being accurate.

We could have put it on A or C weighted scale, or put an analog meter on a different scale range to make the needle bounce where we wanted- he would have never known the difference.

He just wanted to see 'a number'.

Archived