X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mic recommendation

My daughter Elisa has started to sit in on some gigs with my acoustic duo. I use a Shure Beta 58 mic and my partner uses a standard Shure SM58. Elisa is a alto and her voice is sweet and soft. I want to buy her a mic that will do her justice - I just can't seem to get enough out of the Shure mics we have. My budget is $100.00. Any suggestions?
    Chuck
    www.reverbnation.com/chuckbeatty

You should probably go out and try a few - mics seem to be a personal thing.

A lot of people here like the EV N/D767, Audix OM, and the Heil mics.

Comment

What do you mean by "can't get enough out of"? Those are both quality mics. If they are working for both of you but you can't get at least acceptable performance out of them for her, my first thought is it's not the gear.
      www.nextexitrocks.com

Comment

I second the EV n/d767a. It's supercardioid, pretty powerful, and produces very clear, non-muddy vocals, especially in the mid to high vocal range. You may need to do a little shopping to get it at $100, but I bet you can find it somewhere on the internet. Good luck and let us know what you buy.

Comment

What do you mean by "can't get enough out of"? Those are both quality mics. If they are working for both of you but you can't get at least acceptable performance out of them for her, my first thought is it's not the gear.

Her voice is very soft compared to mine. And she was trained in High School to sing off the mic - where I get right on it. So it seems that when I give her enough gain on the mixer, the monitors are right on the edge of feedback.
          Chuck

Comment

Maybe look into Sennheiser's ?? The e838 is a GREAT sounding mic and rejects a LOT of unwanted noise.

And she was trained in High School to sing off the mic - where I get right on it.

Sounds like she needs to be retrained.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sennheiser-e838-Dynamic-Microphone-104600853-i1324590.gc
            ​Boston Common Band - Boston Wedding Bands
            Sound --- DB Tech DVA T4's + RCF TTS18a Subs | RCF TT08a + ART710 Monitors
            Rack --- A&H QU-16 | Sennheiser Wireless Systems | Furman P2400AR
            Lighting --- Chauvet Quad6 PARs | Chauvet + ADJ Lasers | QSpot360 Moving Heads

Comment

Her voice is very soft compared to mine. And she was trained in High School to sing off the mic - where I get right on it. So it seems that when I give her enough gain on the mixer, the monitors are right on the edge of feedback.

Teach her to sing on the mic. Or make sure the level through the wedge is sufficiently low to eliminate feedback. Keep the mains well out in front of her mic. Try IEM's for her if the feedback is only the monitors. Soft singers that stay off the mic are a pain, especially in rock bands. Their voice is sometimes quieter than the drums and amps that are on stage.

So, if it is an issue in monitors only, get her IEM's, if she is getting feedback through the mains, get her to sing right on the grill, or run the PA to feedback on her channel, back it off a bit, then turn everything else down to compensate. I don't think a mic will help you here.
              Dillybar 13 july 2008.
              "I do not expect you to lift one of your lazy fingers to find the proof that I am right."

Comment

Teach her to sing on the mic. Or make sure the level through the wedge is sufficiently low to eliminate feedback. Keep the mains well out in front of her mic. Try IEM's for her if the feedback is only the monitors. Soft singers that stay off the mic are a pain, especially in rock bands. Their voice is sometimes quieter than the drums and amps that are on stage.

So, if it is an issue in monitors only, get her IEM's, if she is getting feedback through the mains, get her to sing right on the grill, or run the PA to feedback on her channel, back it off a bit, then turn everything else down to compensate. I don't think a mic will help you here.

Thanks. It's not a rock band - so there are no amps or drums. Just guitar and harmonica.

I'm thinking supercardoid is not so good for people who sing off the mic? She's usually about 4 inches back.
                Chuck

Comment

Thanks. It's not a rock band - so there are no amps or drums. Just guitar and harmonica.

I'm thinking supercardoid is not so good for people who sing off the mic? She's usually about 4 inches back.

The mic isn't the problem. She's too far off of it. Get her to sing right up on the mic and stick with the Shures.

Comment

The mic isn't the problem. She's too far off of it. Get her to sing right up on the mic and stick with the Shures.

Yes - I think I'll go a few more bucks and get her a Beta 58.

Thanks everyone.
                    Chuck

Comment

She's usually about 4 inches back.

Decreasing that distance by half would make a dramatic difference.
                      Where the Mississippi River runs west...

Comment

Supercardioid is not so good for people who sing off the mic??
                        True, what's also true is.. . NO type of mic is good for people who sing OFF the mic.

At first I didn't understand why the SM58 or the Beta 58a(which I'm truly in love with) would do the job until I read that. Problem's definitely not in the mic.

If you wanted to, you could get a condenser mic, but that would be a risk if you're using it on stage, and it wouldn't be within your budget. And most importantly, it still wouldn't be an improvement if she's singing off the mic

Comment

Yes - I think I'll go a few more bucks and get her a Beta 58.

Thanks everyone.
                          I really dig a Beta 57A for vocals, specially female vocals. Give one a try, it's $20 cheaper than a Beta 58A.

Comment

No problems with the mics you have!
                            YMMV.

Release your inner DJ... then you will begin to see.

Comment

As above - sing right into the mic (Beta 58.... would be fine) and easy on the lipstick. Cleaning the grills can be a hassle

Comment

Working...
                              X