Effects Processor Faves?

• Members

I'm giving some thought to replacing/upgrading the effects unit in my FOH rack. The current effects processor is an old Lexicon MPX110 - and to be honest, I don't seem to get consistent results out of it - primarily because I struggle with the interface.

We're a "mix from stage" band without a dedicated soundman - so we tend to find something that puts a little "wet" on the vocals and the sax during sound check (typically a little reverb wash)- and pretty much leave it there for the night. I don't see us changing our tendencies to "set it and forget it" in any big way soon.

I'm not looking to spend alot - $200 - $300. At my price points the options appear to be:

At $199: Alesis MidiVerb4, Lexicon MX200 or TC Electronics M350

At $299: Lexicon MX300 My questions to the group are as follows:

Which of the $199 units would be the best choice?

Would I make a practical improvement if I spring for an extra C-note for the MX300?

Is there something else out there that I should be looking at that's not on my list of options?I'd appreciate your thoughts and comments!

• Members

I have a TC M one and i LOVE it. I also have a lexicon mpx100, but since i got the TC m one have not got much use out of the lexi. It has visual routing you can swap out the effects live no delay in switching.

TC is the cats pajamas.

• Members

I have a TC M one and i LOVE it. I also have a lexicon mpx100, but since i got the TC m one have not got much use out of the lexi. It has visual routing you can swap out the effects live no delay in switching.

TC is the cats pajamas.

Totally agree here. Really easy to use/edit and find great sounds. I'd pick this unit over some of the higher end Lexicons, never mind the low end stuff.

• Members

Is the interface as bad as it sounds?

I've learned to hate the little program selector knob on the MPX110. You need to get your face right into it to see what setting you've selected (and if it's my face - it's got to be wearing glasses AND either doing it in daylight or while carrying a powerful flashlight). I can't tell you how many times I've thought I had it set where I wanted it ... only to be surprised at the most inopertune times.

I want something with an easy to read LED that screams the program #.

• Members

I use a midiverb 4 myself I bought it off eBay 3 years ago and it's still going strong. :thu: works great for me because it has the big rotary dial and tons of editable presets. I don't think nobody ever gonna notice because it's their 16 bit version. Maybe if I was recording with it, then maybe the 16bit might be a outdated.

• Members

I played around with a friend's MidiVerb IV after repairing its backlite. I never could get anything I liked out of it. To be fair, I might have more luck today.

The TCs are nice, although: I don't like that the C series are reverb on only one engine; the factory presets seem to be very bright; the M1 saves and recalls the two engines as a pair - if you have not saved the two you want to use as a pair, you have to stop and tweak one of the engines; the M1 can sound pretty bad in mono.

I like that the Lex200 has two engines that cab be whatever you want. I cannot fully speak to how good it is, as I did not hear it in stereo - sounded OK in mono though.

If you can live with one engine, the Kurzweil Rumour has very smooth reverbs, and has a very nice user interface. I've never heard it in mono.

Archived