ev s152 vs JBL SR4722?

• Members

Was sort of contemplating selling my ev s152's and getting a better mid/high cab.

the jbls seem to take more watts and have less spl. but i'm not a pro and thought i'd ask.

Also if you have a suggestion i'd love to hear it.

For subs/low end i'm using EV lf215's. To drive all this stuff im using a crest lt1500 and qsc plx 2402.

i hope i gave enough info.

thanks derik

• Members

Tough task without knowing your budget, but I'll try anyway...

I would either change nothing or get a pair of EV ZX3's or ZX5's...

No reason to leave EV IMO. They make some of the best tops out there...

Or look for a used pair of SX300 or Sx200 tops.

• Members

I LOVE EV! If ev wanted me to carry a child i would carry that child... and im a man.

yeah my sp152's are in awesome condition, and i only paid 100 bucks for the pair and a drive into brooklyn NY.

Just trying to think of ways to make the system louder and sound better. they (s152's) make a good mid/high freq cab i think. Maybe i should just get a low/mid cab for in between.

again i imagine some pro's reading what i write and going :facepalm:

i've just been second guessing the system since mogwix was telling me it could barley handle 20 people hehe.

• Members

also those zx's are SICK! and when i do decide to drop some serious dough on speakers those just may be the speakers haha.

See how knowing the budget helps a lot?

1K per box is about average when we talk about speakers of medium/good quality.

For some people serious dough is 10 or 15K per speaker...

All that said, I'd maybe take a look at Peavey... :thu:

• Members

yah any speaker where i would have to take out a loan, i'd better quit my job and start working as a sound me for a living and then file for divorce.

I mean 1k a speaker is a decent price not out of my price range but not worth the hassel my wife would give me + the headache.

So basically unless i decide to go to that level I'm making a parallel move and its not worth it really.

This has shed some light on my dilema.

What i really need to do is run sound with my set up for some band and see how it all turns out... i might be surprised.. or i might be driven to sell some {censored} and really drop some more dough on speakers (probably not) or light it on fire!!!

thanks again all! I appreciate your patience =) i really really really do.

If your ever in Jersey PM and i'll buy you a PBR ... or an import MAYBE!

• Members

I'd get the JBL only if it was the SRX4722 for the usual stuff: newer drivers, painted cab instead of rat fur. The S152's are a really good box for the money, but even then they are one of the entry level EV's too. The S15 is considered the next (baby) step up then it was the T-series (T221, T251, T252 and the + versions) then Deltamax and on up. I owned 4x S15's at one time and really got a lot of milage off them. Great boxes!

I still have the S122 single 12 but the drivers got replace with audiopile 12's. They are beat physically and the crossovers have each needed work due to the resistors coming loose over time but then again the date code says 95. I got my money's worth.

At one time I had the S152's and S122's and sold the 15's because they were a little bulky for what they were and the 12's did 95% of what the 15's do with a sub underneath (matching S181).

Archived