Peavey VSX 48

• Members

I am looking into loudspeaker processors and I was interested in hearing opinions about the Peavey VSX 48 or VSX 26. I haven't been able to find much info on the net about them and I also can't find any real reviews on them either. I can get a pretty good deal on them from a local Peavey dealer,but I was wondering how they compare to the DBX Driverack PA+ or other similarly priced units.

Thanks!

-Count

• Members

I owned the VSX48 for about a year. If they finally got the GUI implemented for a computer, then the VSX48 is a great bang for the buck as far as the number of inputs and outputs. Otherwise, it's a pretty big pain in the rear to work with with all the menus and layers controlled by just a wheel.

• Members

The VSX26 was a fully mature product when I bought it, complete with GUI. The VSX48 was still a pre-release. I actually had to sign a waiver from Peavey just to purchase it. Can you actually buy one? Not having the GUI was a deal breaker for me. Just made some of the features, like the EQ, unusable for me. If I have to crouch down behind the rack to scroll around, my ears are in the wrong place to hear what's going on.

I'm actually not really into processors of that kind in general, especially if you have powered speakers as a lot of what they do is already built into the speakers.

• Members

I can only actually get the VSX 48 at this time,so that is the unit I am looking at. Here are a few questions:

I have powered speakers,so do I need to still consider buying a loudspeaker processor?

Is an RTA mic a must to use with loudspeaker processors?

How does the VSX 48 stack up against the DBX Driverack Pro+?

• Members

Don't bother with the DSP, it's already built into the speaker and it's well executed. If you end up buying the matching subs, it's well integrated. Just an external eq (can be DSP or analog) is all you really need.

Thanks Agedhorse, I will hold off on the unit. Anything else I should consider adding besides the EQ? Any EQ suggestions?

• Members

Agreed, you really don't need these kind of processors with powered speakers. Not that they are bad, but I'd tell anyone to spend the money on better speakers versus cheaper speakers with money left to buy a driverack or VSX, etc. Depends a bit though on if you own EQ's, are running sound from stage, and the features of your mixer.

• Members

I still have a few of the Yamaha delays, I just surplussed a couple of JBL UREI 1/3 octave cut only eq's and matching comps. They are very simiular to the DBX-160A. Semi-vintage full pro pieces. Also found a modified Behringer DSP-8000 eq with my power supply modification, a 12 channel power amp (50-60 watts/channel) etc.

Archived