Live , high-pass filter ?

• Members

I use mine on everything but bass, kick and floor tom. No keys in our setup now, but I used to use it there as well because our former keyboard player stepped on the bass line too much.:lol:

On our Church board we have variable HPFs and most of the vocal and speach mics are passed between 200-250hz.

Winston

• CMS Author

Understand what you're doing, and why. The 100Hz HPF steeply cuts material below 100Hz...that's the "what" and pretty obvious. The "why" is because you can get a lot of handling noise, stage rumble, and wind noise (outdoors, ir if there's a strong fan on the mic) in almost any mic. This will be reproduced by your subs (if you don't have subs, your need for this HPF is greatly reduced) as "mud"....an indistinct rumble. It sounds bad, wastes power, and in excess, can damage the drivers.

• Members

When would I want to use the high-pass filter (100 Hz cut) on my Soundcraft board? Do most people here use the "cut everything except bass and kick rule"?

probably matters what the system is almost as much as what to do on the mixer. couple 12s on a stick I'd leave em all in..

• Members

I have found that male vocals (especially whey you have the occasion when they are out there by themselves for a while) are much "warmer" without the HPF on.

I don't know if this is a good reason to leave it off of the vocal mic or not. I have very low stage noise (v-drums and DI bass) in the low frequency range, so I don't pick up much rumble from the stage. No one handles the mic either, so none of these things effect the sound quality.

I have gone back and fourth on the subject. I definitely use the HPF on the guitars, off on the bass and drums (except snare and cymbals).

Archived