changing presets in keyboard rigThis problem seems difficult to solve. I have 4 keybo

• Members

This problem seems difficult to solve. I have 4 keyboards ( Two Nord lead 2 1 Nord G2X and one Korg Ms200) I want to change the preset (sound) in each one of them at the same time with a MIDI exchange footswitch ,but still being able to use all keyboards separetly, in other words not wanting the synth sounds to merge, just change preset.

I have an idea that this would work if the exchange is connected to each one of the keyboards ( but not serial connection)

Been in touch with a lot of people but nobody seem to know - in particular if it is possible with the Nord synths.

Any ideas?

• Members

This problem seems difficult to solve. I have 4 keyboards ( Two Nord lead 2 1 Nord G2X and one Korg Ms200) I want to change the preset (sound) in each one of them at the same time with a MIDI exchange footswitch ,but still being able to use all keyboards separetly, in other words not wanting the synth sounds to merge, just change preset.

I have an idea that this would work if the exchange is connected to each one of the keyboards ( but not serial connection)

Been in touch with a lot of people but nobody seem to know - in particular if it is possible with the Nord synths.

Any ideas?

you will probably have much better luck with this in the keyboard forum

• Members

Contact Nord.

Your "problem" is relatively easy to fix, don't know who you've been talking to. In essence you need a midi mapper to do things properly.

twostone is right. Spend some time matching your levels or soundtechs will grow to dislike you - especially with that many keyboards.

• Members

Yea, I have tried to contact Nord but yet no reply. If easy to resolve - Great. A midi mapper. Really ...what is that - I will check it out while waiting to see if Clavia answers my request. Another problem is that two inputs allready are engaged with other midi controlling keyboards...

• Members

You need a midi pedal that will do macros; in this case one that will pump out multiple program change commands over multiple channels. You can midi in and loop through to the next keyboard and they will only change patches when they're told to. There are many manufaturers. Roland made one although it was kind of expensive. I've used a Behringer FB1010 (something like that) and considering audio doesn't actually pass through it been really happy with it for a keyboard set up and automating lighting and effects in a small FOH rig that I often use run from stage.

• Members

Great device ( Fb1010) That wouuld possibly work but as there is only one midi out/midi through it would then connect with a midi though box one in 4 out and then into each one of the KB in the rig. Only hope that 100 presets are enough... I have to make sure tis could be done on Nord lead3s. Reading the instruction book it should work with NL3 but I am not sure about the Nord G2x. Korgs Ms2000 should work as well

• Members

I can't imagine a keyboard built in the last three decades that doesn't have either a midi thru jack or the ability to make its midi out jack function as a thru jack, negating the need for seperate box. Remember, each keyboard should be on a seperate receive channel and not omni so it only listens to program change info on its specified channel. And since you would only be sending program change information, any midi delay you might experience (minimal with only four deivices) would be irrelevant.

• Members

I can't imagine a keyboard built in the last three decades that doesn't have either a midi thru jack or the ability to make its midi out jack function as a thru jack, negating the need for seperate box. Remember, each keyboard should be on a seperate receive channel and not omni so it only listens to program change info on its specified channel. And since you would only be sending program change information, any midi delay you might experience (minimal with only four deivices) would be irrelevant.

There you go what do I know about midi not that much.

• Members

I tried a Roctron mdi exchange box on oe of my NL3 and I could change preset on it with the footswitch but then that damned thing broke so I did not manage to test if I could possibly change preset at many keyboards at the same time. I am not keen to buy any more stuff before I really know it will work. About the Nord Gx2, though I am not sure if you really can change preset externally as you have to press a patch load switch on the keyboard before the preset really change and according to the user manual you cannot. Clavia have not answered my enquiry and I am not sure if they will. G2X is not a good live synth - thats for sure

• Members

Check out the midi implementation chart on page 153 for the GX

http://www.clavia.se/downloads/manuals/nord%20modular%20G2/nord%20modular%20G2%20V1.4%20(eng).pdf

and page 109 for the Lead2

http://www.clavia.se/downloads/manuals/nord%20lead%202/nord%20lead%202%20v1.0%20(eng).pdf.

They will both transmit and recognize midi program change information.

• Members

The Rocktron Midi X-Change will only transmit on one midi channel at a time and the continuous controller jacks are fixed to either CC17 (Rocktron product volume) or CC7 (generic midi volume), so unless you want to pretty intensice midi mapping so that all your patches to coincide with the same program change info on the same channel, this isn't the way to go. Seriously, the Behringer can be had new for less than $100 if you look, will do exactly what you need it to do and it has two continuous controllers that can be assigned to any channel and any CC number and can change with each change made on the pedal.

Archived