BGW 7000B power amplifier - do I want this?

• Members

They were workhorses in their day, but reliable high power amps were more the exception than the rule back them. They are extremely big/heavy and lack the protection features of modern amps.

I guess it depends on what "cheap" constitutes.

• Members

$125 is the kind of cheap I am talking about.

This would only be driving my monitors for mixing, pretty gentle use, replacing a much older Marantz solid state amp.

I know it is pretty basic, no limiting, no crossovers, probably not much of anything at all, but I only need an amplifier - that's all i have now.

I don't have real grounds to replace the Marantz except it burns a lot of juice at idle and has sentimental value.

• Members

$125 is the kind of cheap I am talking about.

This would only be driving my monitors for mixing, pretty gentle use, replacing a much older Marantz solid state amp.

I know it is pretty basic, no limiting, no crossovers, probably not much of anything at all, but I only need an amplifier - that's all i have now.

I don't have real grounds to replace the Marantz except it burns a lot of juice at idle and has sentimental value.

Well, I'd say that's not particularly cheap for that amp. It's 30 years old.

And honestly, the Marantz may be better for this use anyways. For one thing, the BGW is fan-cooled. And if "burning juice" is a concern, you're making a huge jump in the wrong direction.

• Members

It this a 750B or a 7000? IIRC there was something big and white and deep that was a bitch to service that may have been a 7000. Boat anchor.

The 7000 is one of those big white things.

The 750s are the big black or big silver things.

• Members

I have 2 7000Bs and have used and abused them for over twenty years without any issue. I use one in my rehersal room now on the mains and the other stays in a spare emergency rack that goes to all shows with me. While the 750s are difficult to work on, these are easier than any amp I've seen. I think they sound nice also, One of them powered the subs in the pic shown in the link 18 hours a day for almost 5 years. Paul.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40563743@N00/3011973052/sizes/o/

• Members

I recall the bottom of the chassis is fixed to the sides, so to do anything the pCB must be removed. I may be wrong but that's my recollection.

The 750's use modular construction, a few screws and the module pops out. All parts and solder joints are accessable from the component side of the pcb. LM318 diff amp based. Really straight forward.

• Members

I owned a couple of the 7000's in the 80's (the white faced BGWs). They worked well and never gave us any trouble but what everyone else say's here is true too. They would be difficult to service, They are a lot of watts for a studio setup, They aren't power efficient, but the big killer for me would be the fan noise. Look for an old Crown DC series or an old Haffler (both are convection cooled and bulletproof).

I just happen to have an extra Crown DC300A series II that I'd sell you (but the shipping to Chicago probably wouldn't be worth your while - That's why I haven't sold it on Ebay).

Archived