Typically, Do AHJ's have a problem with SJOOW..

• Members

This is an area that's in flux... for example article 518 (Assembly Occuancies) contains specific references to temporary wiring in exhibition halls that may be either SE/SO/ST or SJ type cable and may be laid on the floor where protected from the general public. Same for cable trays commonly seen in exhibition halls and arenas.

Now the above conflicts with the general points or article 520 (Theatres) which refers audio equipment to article 640 (Audio Equipment) which directs us to 640.41 (portable installations) which allow for type SJ cable between equipment and between racks (640-42C). But then 640.42E requires type SE/SO/ST, so you can see that it's not quite as easy as it seems.

In general, for unprotected applications, the code is moving towards the extra hard usage cables but the electrical industry has been moving the other way with general purpose extension cords and cables. VERY few commercial rack mount power distribution strips ("conditioners") for example, even those with 15' long cordsets carries extra hard usage cable yet carries a UL listing for portable power distribution in the A/V industry.

In practice, I have found that if everything is well maintained and appropriate protection measures are used, rarely will you encounter any problems from an inspector BUT if you do, they may indeed kick your ass with the letter ofthe law. Generally though, even if they weren't able to do so with the cable, if they were pissed off enough to "get you", they will find something else.

You may want to discuss this with your building official or the department that will be responsible for inspecting. Youmay find that they have local codes that allow things that national codes do not. And it goes the other way too.

• Members

Stupid question, but can you tell me about the acronym?

AHJ

I think it is electrical inspector, but I cannot figure out the acronym.

I see it all the time on the electrical work/distaters photos forum (yeah, kind of weird I am a fan of wiring), but I feel like I could ask you guys and not get yelled at to much.

C.

Archived