is there a specific thing to look for in a power amp where both channels work and

• Members
Usually it's not specifically the amp's fault. First swapping the inputs and check, then swapping the outputs and check will identify if the amp is the problem, or something up-stream or down-stream of the amp is causing the inbalance.

Bass player said he isolated it down to the amp channel but I'll do a little checking first to be sure. I told him to just go straight out of a mon/aux send to the amp and try one side of the amp and then the other using the same cable. He said that's what he did and there was a major difference between the two. (same speaker/speaker cable)

• Members
Bridge mono switch? First look upstream though. Always test new amps BEFORE they go into a rack. Don't get stuck undoing the project you just finished.

Its a pretty old amp, about '90 Ross MTA1200 digital switching model. 600x2 @2 ohms stereo, about 15lbs. Double checked the bridged switch, unless it is sticking in bridged mode?

• Members

Sounds like possibly onbe side ofthe balanced signal has failed. This can be on either the send or receive end. You are positive it's the same input cable all the way to the inputs being tested?

I told him to check it that way. I'll be double checking. BTW, unblanced cable.

• Members

I told him to check it that way. I'll be double checking. BTW, unblanced cable.

Well... years ago I had a similar problem... pulled my hair out trying to figure it out. I had 8 ea. of the same make and model of amps (BGW 750B's as I remember) that had been working flawlessly for 500 - 1000 shows, then all of a sudden one of the amps was down approx. 6dB on one channel for no apparent reason. Turned out to be that the attenuator knob (for whatever reason) had been removed (don't know why or by whom, or when... cept it had to have been while I was in the John) and reinstalled clocked different.

Archived