Monitors & wattage question

• Members

Thanks to tbonehead and GCDEF for answering my "underpowering" question and to tbonehead for telling me what to be careful of doing.

Roadranger,not sure why the :facepalm: but I have read on this forum (and here: http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/live-sound/power-amplifiers/buying-guide.php#1 ) about matching speakers and amps and according to the guides the numbers don't match. With that said, there are people in this thread telling me it is OK to use them together. This is the reason for my question.There seem to be a lot of variables to think about when matching speakers and amps and I wanted get opinions from people who know these things well to be sure that I would be OK with the pairing. I'm sorry,I was under the impression that one of the great things about this forum was for people to get help from other people who have more knowledge in a certain area. I guess with your "facepalm" answer,you dont see it that way.

• Members

Should be ok. Just make sure you don't run anything thru them at low volumes. That could be very damaging.

I like to store my monitors with 110v applied to them to keep them from being underpowered too long ;).

Seriously, the dangers of "underpowing" was a bunch of BS made up by the folks who profit from selling you bigger amps and new speakers when you blow yours up. 200 watts into most floor monitors is enough to cause permanent hearing damage if you ever cranked it up to max for long. 200w into a 98db efficiency speaker is 113db at 6 feet - ouch :eek:! The OSHA permissible exposure limit for that is under one minute per day. If you allow 10db headroom and average 103db you're good for 7.5 minutes per day :facepalm:.

• Members

Maximum power is the only real concern, assuming you are not clipping any amplifier. LESS than the maximum rated power (an this is subject to debate) is not a problem. Clipping any amplifier at almost any power level can be a problem with a full range signal.

Search here on this topic, it's been discussed in detail.

• Members

One other thing I thought I would ask about...the basic hook-up from the mixer to the power amp for the monitors. I should go from the mixer Aux to the power amp,correct? The Aux is 1/4" and the power amp has only XLR. How do I do the hook-up? Please excuse if this is again repetitive from earlier posts,but I didn't find a clear answer from my search. Thanks!

Archived