Two mixers - how to connect

• Members

Hello, first timer here.

We have a gig where we need to have about 12 xlr inputs. My mixer has 8 and the guitar players mixer has 8, both are powered. How can I hook the guitar players mixer into my mixer, so that we can use the XLR inputs from the second mixer and feed these into the main mixer? My mixer is a Yamaha 88S and his is a Behringer model # unknown.

Thanks!

RiddimRyder

• Members

Thanks! So on my mixer the line in is called Aux in. So assuming that I put four mics into mixer 2, mix them accordingly on mixer 2 and then send the mixer 2 line outs RL to mixer 1 (main mixer) "aux in" RL. In this case mixer 2 is being treated as an effects processor being input to mixer 1. Is there any danger with mixer 2 being a powered mixer and not having speakers hooked up, i.e. using it as a passive mixer? Also any special considerations for dealing with aux in with the mixed signals from mixer 2?

-RiddimRyder

• Members

I would use a channel as opposed to the Aux in to give an added level of control (ability to send to monitors specifically but also just a better level control). Make sure as earlier noted not to use the speaker outputs (speaker level into a channel is BAD stuff).

There should be no issue with using the first powered mixer without any speakers plugged in. You can run a powered mixer with no load all day with no worries.

So I would put 5 channels into the first mixer (choose channels with little need of monitoring, i.e. drums or what have you), then plug the left output (line level, or main out, whatever it's labeled) into channel 1 of the second mixer, now you can send that to monitors (all 5 channels at once though) and have a level control right there. Hookup your speakers to the second mixer and you're golden.

Archived