Newbie - Quick Question on PA's...

• Members

...I'm sorry for posting this question, if it's a semi-dumb one.

Background -I play guitar and I'd like to start trying to play/sing out at bars for some extra cash. Just me, my guitar and a mic.

I know guitars fairly well and don't need help there. That said, I have no clue about PA's and mics. Is there a decent resource available that you can tell me about?

Also, is it not a good move to consider used equipment? I'm on a tight budget, and would like to consider craigslist.

I saw these two deals and although they caught my eye, I don't really know what I'm doing yet so I'm trying to educate myself....

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1393593660.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1377599355.html

Please, any thoughts from any of you would help. Thanks much!

-Lost Novice

• Members

Used is a great way to get gear cheap, just make sure to check it out beforehand and ensure it's in good shape.

Are you talking acoustic solo act stuff or what? What type of music? How big of a venue? How much needs to be covered and at what level?

Do you need to be background music or are you the center of attention?

Neither or your craigslist finds appeal to me. I don't like any Fender PA gear, might just be bias but it really seems low end crap to me. Stagepas is ok for what it is, but I wouldn't pay $600 for that.

• Members

New prices, for a small system that would work for your application:

Speakers, two of these: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-EUROLIVE-B208D-Active-PA-Speaker-System?sku=620523

$360.00 for two.

Small mixer, with built-in effects. Perfect for you, your guitar, and a an MP3 player or Laptop. http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Xenyx-1002FX?sku=631266

$90.00

Mic for you: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-Beta-58A-Mic?sku=270120

$159.00

DI for your guitar: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-ULTRADI-DI100-Direct-Box?sku=182452

$40.00

Mic stand for you:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Tripod-Mic-Stand-with-Telescoping-Boom?sku=451052

$20.00

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Standard-Speaker-Stand-Black?sku=451036

$60.00 for two

XLR Cables for your mic, DI, and powered speakers:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-LoZ-Mic-Cable-20-Feet-4Pack?sku=582060

$16.00

If my calculator works right, that's about $745.00 for a complete small system that would work for your, your guitar, and backing tracks in small clubs and bars. That's only Musicians Friend prices, and some of those are the cheapest items I could find (stands, cables). If you could spend a little more and get better stands and cables, you would probably be happier later. You could also get an SM58 Mic instead of the Beta 58 and save about $60 there.

Good luck.

• Members

Checked out craigslist in your area and nothing really stuck out to me. What is your budget? Give us a dollar amount and the suggestions will flow in. Everybody loves spending someone else's money.

Well, the budget depends on who you ask in my family. ;)

I don't want to spend a lot. But, I also know that it's important to get good stuff, so you don't have to keep getting replacements.

I think I could spend $1000 over a bit of time on this. Maybe slightly more. I'd much prefer less.

My wife, however, would say my budget is $100.:cop:

• Members

New prices, for a small system that would work for your application:

Speakers, two of these:

$360.00 for two.

Small mixer, with built-in effects. Perfect for you, your guitar, and a an MP3 player or Laptop.

$90.00

Mic for you:

$159.00

DI for your guitar:

$40.00

Mic stand for you:

$20.00

$60.00 for two

$16.00

If my calculator works right, that's about
$745.00
for a complete small system that would work for your, your guitar, and backing tracks in small clubs and bars. That's only Musicians Friend prices, and some of those are the cheapest items I could find (stands, cables). If you could spend a little more and get better stands and cables, you would probably be happier later. You could also get an SM58 Mic instead of the Beta 58 and save about $60 there.

Good luck.

One more dummy question...

Is the DI for the guitar to plug into the PA system? I have an amp. Should I plug the amp into the PA system?

P.S. I plan on playing acoustic/electric. But, I do have an electric too.

• Members

TGAM, have you ever actually used any of that equipment? With the possible exception of the Beta 58, I think $745 worth of silly string might be a wiser investment.

OP, I would go with your gut instinct of buying used. Those all in one systems tend to be pretty limiting though, IMO. I would start with just one quality powered speaker (instead of 2 crappy ones) and a decent small mixer. Or you could probably find a Peavey powered head and speakers. You're not going to get anything great with your budget, but in my book, just about anything is better than Behringer equipment.

If you do go used, get the seller to demonstrate that it works properly. Stick around and you'll tend to see which budget gear works well and which doesn't (and who knows what they're talking about, and who doesn't).

• Members

I have used the Behringer Mixer and Speakers. Decent sound for cheap.

I wouldn't suggest something I haven't used or wasn't educated about.

Saveup -

The DI would be for acoustic guitar, provided that your acoustic guitar has a good pre-amp built in.

For electric, if you're playing through an amp, you'd want to mic the amp with a seperate mic, SM57.

Used is a great way to go, and I prefer it myself. However I wasn't going to spend time looking all over craigslist and eBay to find equipment suggestions, so I found some basic ideas from one website to get you started.

Good luck.

• Members

Well, the speakers carry 3 different power ratings depending on which paragraph you believe... 145w, 200w and 220w.

My suggestion is to take a look at quality products by JBL (PRX), QSC (K10 or K12), Yorkville, etc. Pay a little more and get something that will work well and last.

• Members

For smaller venues the Yamaha stagepass would be acceptable. A pair of nice powered speakers (EV SX100A's) and a small mixer will go a long way. With an elec/acoustic just plug right into the mixer. A good DI is helpful but not always needed. Keep this simple if you can and lighten your load.

• Members

I've got a pair of used powered SX100A's available.

Saveuplife, do yourself a favour, and at least investigate AH's SX100A's. With A Peavey PV10 mixer, a Shure SM58... and a few accesories, you would be set. If your amp has a speaker emulated line out, that would probably be good enough for your needs, and you wouldn't have to purchase a guitar amp mic (Shure SM57), at least not right away.

• Members

N

$16.00

I bought a 10 pack of those mic cables. It was almost comical. Every time we'd set up the PA using those cables one of them would fail. I bought similar budget cables from Sam Ash and they were almost as bad. One lesson I learned the hard way is that skimping on mic cables doesn't save money in the long run.

• Members

My advice dont skimp on cables. If they are really cheap there is a reason.

If you are on a real budget check out the carvin 620 powered mixer and the LS 10 inch speakers. You can buy new for 550 bucks and they sound pretty good for the money. (please dont tell me your qsc or EVs sound better because one speaker costs more than the whole system.) A friend gigs with that system and has for many years. He is low volume 4 piece blues/rock band and its not used to mic drums or bass mainly vocals. I have the same set up that lives in the back of my truck and it has never had a problem in 4 years I owned it.

I think there are some very knowledgeable people here but sometimes they forget that many people cant afford to get the best stuff. That said I do have a much nicer PA that I use for real gigs and not just last minute lets jam in the backyard party stuff. I also like Yorkville elite stuff and you could even consider just one powered yorkville NX 55 with a small little mixer with fx. I used a older 1204 mackie mixer and lexicon fx and it is bulletproof too even though I hear the newer stuff is not as reliable. Older Mackie mixers are built like tanks and I'm disappointed I hear that the quality is going down hill now.

Cappttenron

• Members

Would this be a prime scenario to use something like the Fishman Soloamp or the Bose tower unit?

If you can spend $1000 on this you will end up with something that is great for you. Spend your time researching. Ask questions here.

I have 4 Behringer B212a units that I use, they are cheap, they sound ok (I guess) but I don't expect them to last that long. One was DOA and took another $50 just to ship in for repair (and 2+ months time).

There are a couple ways I see to go. Conventional sound systems (powered mixer and speakers on a stick or active speakers on a stick and a small mixer) or there is the slightly non-conventional solo acoustic thing.

Fishman Soloamp

Bose tower (can't remember the name)

Acoustic amp

If you are doing coffeehouse gigs where you are background entertainment on one side of the room with an acoustic guitar then I suggest a SWR California Blonde and a SM58. Done. Find one used and you are talking $400. This isn't a PA but it would handle that and sound great, it is by far the best sounding acoustic guitar amplification I've ever heard.

If you are anything more than that (more people, more attention, more volume needed) or you just want a PA for future expansion then I would go with 1 or 2 (if can be afforded) nicer powered speakers.

The powered speakers that get the most love on this board are:

The EV SX series (like AH offered)

Yorkville NX series

QSC K10, K12, and HPR series

and of course the PRX speakers

Also recommended by a few key members are the Wharfedale Titan 12s, they are much more affordable then some of the other offerings, but some people consider them a lesser class of speaker (I have no experience with them, so I can't compare), if you want some info on them check with Al Poulin.

There are also other speakers that I don't see recommended as much:

Mackie SRM series

JBL EON series

Behringer B212a and B215a

and many many others.

Pretty much any of the first batch you could buy and never look back

• Members

:eek:

Behringer actually did a warranty repair?????

Let me get out my calendar and mark this day down with a HUGE star so I never forget it....the day a miracle happened!

Why would they not do a warranty repair and how would they justify getting out of it?

• Members

It was the closest repair facility from me (Austin), it was in SoCal.

My phone kept disconnecting when I called in to get the RMA but I managed to talk to the same girl 4 times in a row. It was kind of comical.

Shipping really annoyed me, but there was no way around it. Sent it in and they had to wait for Behringer to ship them the LF driver (which was blown mechanically from a defect), that took awhile. But overall the company was good and it didn't cost me any repair fees or to send it back (obviously).

• Members

he has exactly three posts on HC and all of them involve suggesting b-ringer gear.
:facepalm:
:facepalm:

Yes, very funny.

However, I don't believe the original poster is interested in shelling out money for the Meyer boxes I used last week.

Behringer may be what it is, but I've used it when I had to, and its decent for the money. For a small budget-minded setup in a coffee house, it would work nicely.

Also, I don't judge your knowledge or experience based on your post count on this forum.

• Members

Why did a powered mixer and a set of Yamaha clubs come to mind? Might be a little over $1000, but at least his buddy's could jam with him. Quick, easy, and would sound relatively good for the money. "Relatively" being the imperative. For the money both the Yamaha and Peavey powered mixers are a goodbang for the buck. I prefer the Peavey, and I really can't remember why. LOL

Archived