Channel Switching

• Members

I thought I'd try posting this here, I seem to get better response off my posts here, rather than in, "amps", or, "effects".

I have an older two channel combo amp. Dirty side/ clean side, switchable via a LED lighted foot switch. One input, no effect loops.

I use an analog pedal board with the amp. On the pedal board I have a tube driver, and a pre-amp, (among too many other things) I like to use on the clean side. I like the dirty side of the amp with nothing on it.

How can I switch from the clean side, with the tube screamer on it, to the dirty side with nothing on it, without having to hit two switches?

• Members

What you want to do is being done by people all the time. If you want full control of all your stuff, there are basically two approaches.

A midi controlled unit, such as the Rocktron Patchmate, are typically rack mounted boxes that are controlled by a midi floor controller. Which controller you use depends on your preferences, there are many choices in every price range.

A non-midi unit, such as the Carl Martin Combinator, are typically all-in-one boxes, that have all the jacks on the controller itself. Everything connects to the controller on the floor.

Each approach has it's advantages. The all-in-one boxes are simpler, and thus, easier to hook up and program. The midi boxes can be rack mounted, along with all your pedals, and you only have to have a midi controller on the floor in front of you instead of a full pedalboard.

If you don't want to get that involved, or don't have enough stuff to warrant spending that much on a switching system, you could look at something like the Boss LS-2. It's a fairly simple stompbox that selects between two effect loops. Put the pedals on one loop and use with your clean channel, use the other loop on bypass with your dirty channel.

There are more choices than I've listed here, but this should give you some ideas.

Archived