What if subs, ACME

• Members

Has anyone ever heard of using these ACME speakers as subs. They are made to reproduce the B string of a 5 string bass. I have two of the smaller cabs and I can tell you they are amazing but suck the power. Andy of ACME says some use them as subs. They make two versions one with a midrange and tweeter and one without. http://www.acmebass.com

Any thoughts? Not many cabinets that size can get that low and there was a big write up about them in bass player magazine. The only knock on them is they arent that efficient. Andy says he has the drivers custom made for his cabinets. I bet two 4x10s setting next to each other with 800 watts per side would be pretty impressive. I have two 2x10s and they are amazing together with a eden 800 watt head. Andy says they are built not to color the sound like my SWR cabs but to be a neutral as possible.?

Cappttenron

• Members

Bass guitar and subs are two completely different animals. Most of the basses usuable tone would come from the mid range and not in the typical sub frequencies. A bass cab is a full range speaker. Subs are not. I don't think you will be as happy with the sound as their salesman would like you to believe.

• Members

But couldnt you just roll off them off anywhere above where the mains kick in? say 70hz. Since I own both swr and acme products I can tell you there is a ton of difference between them. The SWRs have a certain tone thats very cool while the ACME is very neutral. Many acoustic bass players love the ACME products.

Cappttenron

• Members

Like I said, bass guitar and subs are completely different animals. I do not believe that there is any way possible to make a bass cab into an acceptable sub. A lot of it has to do with design and cab size. Seriously, I don't think it is possible. You can reproduce some low frequencies with a bass rig but nowhere near a real sub.

• Members

Please take a look at the technical explaination on that site if you have time. The Acme is made to produce the low B 32hz of a 5 string bass guitar. I have used these cabs with a keyboard and they go crazy low. There is a trade off in efficiency to get those low notes though.

Capptteron

• Members

The 4x10 is rated at 96. So two would probably be 99 or so. I know they wont compete with a danley th115 in that aspect but if you through a couple of 2x10s in the front you would have that really low fundemental that the others dont have down around 30hz. Which is incredible for a cab that weighs only about 50 pounds for the 2x10.

Cappttenron

• Members

The 4x10 is rated at 96. So two would probably be 99 or so. I know they wont compete with a danley th115 in that aspect but if you through a couple of 2x10s in the front you would have that really low fundemental that the others dont have down around 30hz. Which is incredible for a cab that weighs only about 50 pounds for the 2x10.

Cappttenron

Your math needs some work. Somewhere, somehow, the numbers are screwy. So what would 2 x 410's be? 99dB, and 4 x 410's be 102, and 8 x 410's be 105 etc. Prtty soon you get to exceeding 100% efficiency which is why this method of reasoning doesn't hold water. Also, the -3dB and -10dB point should gradually shift lower too, this is not indicated either.

Sensitivity doesn't add that way, and where it does increase, it's not linear either.

I think you will find these (and most) bass cabinets to perform poorly for sub duty. These cabinets do not appear to have adequate sensitivity in spite of their -3dB point to hold up well to the top cabinets (assuming quality top bacinets of course).

• Members

I get your point about the sensitivty and I dont really understand the math behind it. But I will disconnect the mids and tweeters and try them out with my Yorkville elite 12s. I am sure I will have to adjust for the sensitivity but will give it a try and see what happens. I will cross them over around 60-70 hz. Generally I never even come close to pushing those Yorkies anyway. Was looking to see if anyone had ever tried it?

Cappttenron

• Members

I get your point about the sensitivty and I dont really understand the math behind it. But I will disconnect the mids and tweeters and try them out with my Yorkville elite 12s. I am sure I will have to adjust for the sensitivity but will give it a try and see what happens. I will cross them over around 60-70 hz. Generally I never even come close to pushing those Yorkies anyway. Was looking to see if anyone had ever tried it?

Cappttenron

You might try crossing over higher, say around 100Hz...

• Members

Just as an example. I play bass. I use in rehearsals, and have used for gigs a single 12" fold-back wedge for bass and it has sounded great, very much a bass sound and no problem getting the volume required.

However, I would never attempt to replace a sub with a 12" wedge.

I have on occasion used a single 15" (ev TL style) bass cab with a crossover as low end for recorded stereo needs at partys, I would go so far as to use something of the kind in low volume duo type situations - but I wouldn't expect the same low end response as a true sub.

• Members

I used to own a Low B -2 and it was a very inefficient cab, very power hungry. I was never really impressed with it and decided to keep my Bergantinos and sold the ACME. Why don't you try it as a sub and let us know? I heard their 4x10's make good full-range PA speakers, not subs... And BTW, 41hz is as low as they will go...

• Members

Hmm the specs say -6db at 31hz? Well I have both the SWR and the ACME and the Acme cabs go way lower IMO. You just dont get the SPLs out of the ACME you do with the SWR cabs. Plus the SWR kind of have a growly sound which I think is pretty cool.

Well I dont think they would work well for techno or rap or any super heavy bass music but could add a fundemental bottom to the sound. I think as a bass player you either love them or hate the ACME cabs. I had to buy a second one to get enough usable volume for me. Both of my ACME cabs are 4 ohms models so I was putting 400 watts per channel in them. I have tried them as a keyboard monitor and miced a drum on them once and sounded really fat.

Archived