What is the best crossover frequency ?

• Members

How much of a noticable difference is there between a 100hz crossover point and a 150hz crossover point ? My main concern is that the top speakers don't sound "too" tinny. I still want a full sound from the tops with the added bass from the subs. Right now I have a crossover at 100hz but have been thinking about a new PV2600 power amp that has a 150hz built in crossover. Any thoughts on this ? Thanks

• Members

The tops are some older PAS 15" speakers with horns. They still sound fine running with a sub at the 100hz crossover. I am just looking at possibly getting a PV2600 power amp to power both subs and I see that this amp has a built in crossover at 150hz. I am just wondering if that will be too high for my liking. I just want a good full sound for mostly country and country rock. Thanks

• Members

Why don't you change the x-over point in your current setup to 150hz and see if you like it. If you can live with it, and really want to get rid of your x-over (and get rid of any x-over flexibility), then go ahead and replace it with the amp's build-in x-over.

• Members

The crossover I have now is also a built in crossover at 100hz in a Peavey cs400 so I am not able to change it unless I tried to find a replacement module. I like it but I need more power to run both subs. It will only run one sub ( good ) in bridged mode. That is why I am looking for a more powerfull amp to run both subs and hopefully get the built in crossover to go along with it. Thanks

• Members

there is not simply a correct frequency for a crossover ... it's just a tradeoff between a number of things. I wouldn't worry about it too much

Benefits of crossing over higher: More protection to tops for burn-out, less intermodulation distortion.

Benefits of crossing lower: tending to keep the vocals out of the sub.

• Members

There is no universal "best" crossover point. You have to use your ears to find it and it varies not only from cabinet brand but from speaker (JBL, EV, etc).

My UREI 525 has a built-in sine wave generator whose frequency is the crossover point. When this is engaged I can sweep it until the sine wave diminishes and that is my crossover point.

• Members

there is not simply a correct frequency for a crossover ... it's just a tradeoff between a number of things. I wouldn't worry about it too much

Benefits of crossing over higher: More protection to tops for burn-out, less intermodulation distortion.

Benefits of crossing lower: tending to keep the vocals out of the sub.

Yes, I wouldn't worry much about it either.

Archived