Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best crossover frequency ?

How much of a noticable difference is there between a 100hz crossover point and a 150hz crossover point ? My main concern is that the top speakers don't sound "too" tinny. I still want a full sound from the tops with the added bass from the subs. Right now I have a crossover at 100hz but have been thinking about a new PV2600 power amp that has a 150hz built in crossover. Any thoughts on this ? Thanks

I would be more concerned about how running subs this high made the PA sound...

Comment

It all depends on the exact speakers. What are they?
      Don Boomer

Comment

Usually 100 Hz is a good starting point but depends what subs your using and the room your mixing in.

Comment

I usually find myself somewhere between 100 and 110 with most rigs.
          ----------------------------------------
          1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom- Wine Red
          1971 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
          1995 Gibson Les Paul Classic
          2010 Fender American Tele
          2011 Fender Am. Std Strat
          1984 Marshall JCM 800 2203
          1974 Marshall JMP Superlead
          Orange Rockerverb 100 MK II
          Peavey JSX
          Peavey XXX
          Line 6 Spider IV 75 (2) for the cover band
          Orange cabs
          Beer & Whiskey

Comment

The tops are some older PAS 15" speakers with horns. They still sound fine running with a sub at the 100hz crossover. I am just looking at possibly getting a PV2600 power amp to power both subs and I see that this amp has a built in crossover at 150hz. I am just wondering if that will be too high for my liking. I just want a good full sound for mostly country and country rock. Thanks

Comment

I just want a good full sound for mostly country and country rock. Thanks

then run a crossover in the traditional sense. you cannot reinvent sound reinforcement.
              band status - "its complicated"

Comment

Get a Peavey IPR 1600 - crossover is 100hz.

Comment

Why don't you change the x-over point in your current setup to 150hz and see if you like it. If you can live with it, and really want to get rid of your x-over (and get rid of any x-over flexibility), then go ahead and replace it with the amp's build-in x-over.
                  Kyle Abel

http://www.soylentbluemusic.com

Comment

The crossover I have now is also a built in crossover at 100hz in a Peavey cs400 so I am not able to change it unless I tried to find a replacement module. I like it but I need more power to run both subs. It will only run one sub ( good ) in bridged mode. That is why I am looking for a more powerfull amp to run both subs and hopefully get the built in crossover to go along with it. Thanks

Comment

Right now I have a crossover at 100hz but have been thinking about a new PV2600 power amp that has a 150hz built in crossover. Any thoughts on this ? Thanks

I would expect a noticeable difference between 150hz and 100hz, YMMV.

Comment

The Yamaha PnnnnS amps have an adjustable crossover point built in.

Comment

there is not simply a correct frequency for a crossover ... it's just a tradeoff between a number of things. I wouldn't worry about it too much

Benefits of crossing over higher: More protection to tops for burn-out, less intermodulation distortion.

Benefits of crossing lower: tending to keep the vocals out of the sub.
                          Don Boomer

Comment

There is no universal "best" crossover point. You have to use your ears to find it and it varies not only from cabinet brand but from speaker (JBL, EV, etc).

My UREI 525 has a built-in sine wave generator whose frequency is the crossover point. When this is engaged I can sweep it until the sine wave diminishes and that is my crossover point.
                            this sig no verb

Comment

there is not simply a correct frequency for a crossover ... it's just a tradeoff between a number of things. I wouldn't worry about it too much

Benefits of crossing over higher: More protection to tops for burn-out, less intermodulation distortion.

Benefits of crossing lower: tending to keep the vocals out of the sub.

Yes, I wouldn't worry much about it either.
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Working...
                              X