Yamaha 01v96 to Studio Manager connection via long cable

• Members

hi,

I've just hooked my 01v96 with a USB cable to studio manager. I'm now hoping to use the 01v96 and studio manager live,

my plan is to keep the 01v96 side of stage and take my computer running studio managerout front to control the FOH.

I'm not yet confident of using a wireless system to connect the units but wondered about a cabled solution.

I understand that the USB connection is only usable up to 5 meters,

however searching on the net I see several 'USB 5mt active booster cables' available,

( http://cpc.farnell.com/_/psg02502/usb-2-0-repeater-cable/dp/CS14520 )

Alternatively a 'USB OVER NETWORK/CAT5' adapter available.

( http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/usb-boosta/usb-over-network-cable-extender/dp/CS16464 )

Are any of these viable options for remote controling a 01v96 ? which one if any is the best/most stable type of cable/connection to use?

thanks, John

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have an o1v96 as well and thought about doing the same thing in those rooms where running copper is a pain.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=204229214&listingid=5041447

The above is over $100 at Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11073644

Have not tried it but SM shouldn't be much of a problem to run.

The other option is to pick up a Silex and go wireless.

Dookietwo

http://www.usbdesigns.com/

EDIT: I wanted to add this product as it has a power supply for longer runs.

• Members

It's usually recommended (by "those who know") that you control the mixer with hardwired PC #1, and control PC #1 via wireless with PC #2.

+1

Download and use Ultra VNC for remoting in. Works great and very few hassles.

I recomend buying a used tablet. The motion computing LE1600 works great and can be found in abundance for pretty good prices. Be sure to get the view anywhere screen as it can be seen fairly well outdoors also.

Les

• Members

How about a PC to control the mouse for the PC that connects wirelessly to the PC that's hardwired to the digital?

Two PC's to control your mixer? Really? Come on guys....
:facepalm:

Sounds like a lot, but in reality its much simpler and quicker than setting up a split snake and monitor board plus FOH board. In this configuration someone can be running the monitors from the stage while the FOH guy is simultaneously running FOH from the tablet.

Cuts out having to have separate boards for FOH and monitor world and two laptops and a wireless router are much lighter than a 32 channel split snake and monitor board :)

Les

• Members

How about a PC to control the mouse for the PC that connects wirelessly to the PC that's hardwired to the digital?

Two PC's to control your mixer? Really? Come on guys....
:facepalm:

Yep, .. also the easiest way to control a DR260.

The hardwired pc doesn't need very good specs, a 200$ used on is plenty good.

I have how ever only used gateway tablets, and must say , the concept is good, implimentation sucks, .. the hinge broke to, ending its life of suffering.

• Members

It's usually recommended (by "those who know") that you control the mixer with hardwired PC #1, and control PC #1 via wireless with PC #2.

We have done it both wireless ways. The Silex option works pretty flawlessly. Tha two PC option works OK but the latency for screen updates can be brutal to deal with (you move a control, the audio changes immediatly, 1 to 2 seconds later you see the controle move on your screen - It's maddening). The Silex option cuts that down to about 250ms or less.

Personaly I dislike using studio manager. I love the idea of remoting the board (and it is at times useful), but studio manager is a really poorly written program. Try adjusting an aux send by just 1 - 2 db, It's not possible (sometimes this is the difference between allowing someone to hear themselves and screaming feedback). It's like doing neurosergery with a meat cleaver. No Fun at all!

• Members

We have done it both wireless ways. The Silex option works pretty flawlessly. Tha two PC option works OK but the latency for screen updates can be brutal to deal with (you move a control, the audio changes immediatly, 1 to 2 seconds later you see the controle move on your screen - It's maddening). The Silex option cuts that down to about 250ms or less.

Personaly I dislike using studio manager. I love the idea of remoting the board (and it is at times useful), but studio manager is a really poorly written program. Try adjusting an aux send by just 1 - 2 db, It's not possible (sometimes this is the difference between allowing someone to hear themselves and screaming feedback). It's like doing neurosergery with a meat cleaver. No Fun at all!

Have you tried the sends on fader program?

Gives you faders instead of those little knobs.

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com/forum/showthread.php?980-Sends-on-Fader-v-1-10-8-1

Dookietwo

• Members

Sounds like a lot, but in reality its much simpler and quicker than setting up a split snake and monitor board plus FOH board. In this configuration someone can be running the monitors from the stage while the FOH guy is simultaneously running FOH from the tablet.

Cuts out having to have separate boards for FOH and monitor world and two laptops and a wireless router are much lighter than a 32 channel split snake and monitor board
:)

Les

I have yet to have a glitch with my monitor console and splitter system, haven't had to call tech support to solve a mysterious problem that can't be duplicated except at the most inconvenient time, etc. Besides, I don't have to worry about operating systems, updates, crashes, rebooting or any of a hundred silly things.

• Members

I've had just as many problems with monitor consoles and wiring and routing and tracing dodgy cables as I have with the computer setup. :)

If the computer is mission critical then you either set up and don't connect to the internet on it or set up a different boot that never connects to the internet. If it ain't broke, don't try fixin it with an "update". That will solve a lot of problems that most people have with internet and computers

• Members

If my digital console did not operate from computer, I would have much less use for it. I much prefer to operate from studio manager. If you click on the little dials, hold down the mouse button and move the mouse out from the dial (like you were stretching the radius of the control) you gain detailed control of the dial not possible when mousing on the edge of the dial.

I like operating from my computer more than I did operating my old analog gear. I am in my comfort zone when surrounded my a stack of laptops. It is how I spend every single day of the year.

• Members

If my digital console did not operate from computer, I would have much less use for it.

I am in my comfort zone when surrounded my a stack of laptops.

+1 on both counts. If I couldn't remotely use my mixer, I would probably go with analog for monitors. It is easier at this point and time for me to run monitors with an analog surface.

Being able to remote in wirelessly also helps me quite a bit at wedding and several corporate style gigs where a snake cannot be used easily. Those gigs would probably be ran from the side of stage otherwise.

• Members

In 20 years of having a splitter and monitor console(s), I lost 1 channel on the split whic was a pin on an EDAC that wsn't fully seated. Fixed in 5 seconds. Other than that zero problems. Can't say that about ANY of my computers, sadly.

I put lots of attention into maintaining all of my gear, which really goes a long way towards reliability. Unfortunately, so many things happen behind the scenes of a computer that there's always potential for unexpected and unplanned failures.

This has been my experience.

• Members

If my digital console did not operate from computer, I would have much less use for it. I much prefer to operate from studio manager. If you click on the little dials, hold down the mouse button and move the mouse out from the dial (like you were stretching the radius of the control) you gain detailed control of the dial not possible when mousing on the edge of the dial.

Yes you can be more acurate that way, but to me it's still cumbersome & slow. I ocasionaly use Protools and do use Steinberg Nuendo quite a bit so I'm spoiled in the amount of control & accuracy afforded by them as compared to studio manager. Of course Studio manager is free (I guess you get what you pay for :>).

• Members

Whe we used two computers we used VNC. The screen refresh is pretty slow. Yes the comands to make the change were quick but watching your change pop into place was agonizing. FWIW the Silex USB emulator to wireless lan seems to work fine.

Hmmm...that's interesting. Were you using a windows based setup? I'm just curious as the screen refresh is almost instantaneous on our setup and I've used it with the O1v96 and the LS9. We used XP as the host and XP to remote in using Ultra VNC. What router were you using and how was it hooked up?

Les

• Members

Hmmm...that's interesting. Were you using a windows based setup? I'm just curious as the screen refresh is almost instantaneous on our setup and I've used it with the O1v96 and the LS9. We used XP as the host and XP to remote in using Ultra VNC. What router were you using and how was it hooked up?

Les

Yes it was a Windows XP OS. I really don't remember the router type (the idea's been long abandoned). I do remember it was a "g" series wireless lan. We were using the older version of VNC. Possibly this was the difference (did they possibly come up with a faster video compression scheme for desktop refresh?).

I've been toying with the idea of hard wire remoting my Nuendo software (to run it directly from my iso room (so I can engineer & lay down drum tracks simultaniously :>)). I'll give VNC another look. Thanks.

Cheers

• Members

In 20 years of having a splitter and monitor console(s), I lost 1 channel on the split whic was a pin on an EDAC that wsn't fully seated. Fixed in 5 seconds. Other than that zero problems. Can't say that about ANY of my computers, sadly.

I put lots of attention into maintaining all of my gear, which really goes a long way towards reliability. Unfortunately, so many things happen behind the scenes of a computer that there's always potential for unexpected and unplanned failures.

This has been my experience.

I wouldn't try to mix a show from a computer - partially because of ease of use, partially for safety reasons.

However, a wireless connection to the console and/or the speaker processing is a joy and a wonder when setting up. You can go up to the stage and do some basic monitor tuning, go around the house to get the FOH speakers dialed in (especially with distributed systems).

• CMS Author

I've had just as many problems with monitor consoles and wiring and routing and tracing dodgy cables as I have with the computer setup.
:)

If the computer is mission critical then you either set up and don't connect to the internet on it or set up a different boot that never connects to the internet. If it ain't broke, don't try fixin it with an "update". That will solve a lot of problems that most people have with internet and computers

Try using good cables.

Archived