Recording The Acoustics

• Members

We're looking at 2-3 guitars and around 4 drum mics.

i've got an edirol fa-66 and daw.

i'm being told that ill need both a mixer AND a new audio interface to record the guitars and drums.

theres gotta be another way.

i've spent what i feel has been boatloads of cash on my music setup and i thought the drum mics were the last of it for now.

is there not any other way to record it all together? should i go 8-track recorder or something??

i really like this edirol fa-66 and i figured if i picked up a cheap mixer like the behringer with 12 audio ins i'd be fine.... 4 mic preamps for the drum mics, and 12 audio ins for guitars and such. can't i squeeze it into the fa-66 somehow and record together?

please help

• Members

What DAW? What system? The FA-66 is a 6 in 6 out interface but it only has two mic pres. You need 7 inputs. Not really sure if you really know what you are doing yet. I assume you want to multi track so you can do some post production, correct? You should be able to get 2 guitars and 4 drums with the FA-66 depending on your DAW. Let us know what gear you have and we can help you out.

You probably need something like a Presonus Digimax with 8 mic pres to do this right.

• Members

i'm just wondering if theres a way to squeeze it into the fa-66. the 101 is only $100 bucks more...if only i would have bought that from the start!!

unless theres some sort of a trade-in store where i can put the 100% condition fa-66 towards a fa-101.

i still think theres gotta be a way to get everything into the fa-66 when the time comes. new mixer and new audio interface is more than i can afford.

WHY MUST IT COST SO MUCH TO RECORD QUALITY AUDIO?!?!? so many purchases...

• Members

Well, there are limitations when it comes to the cost of recording but the big reason is... number of simultaneous channels/inputs! Recording a full band can take a LOT of inputs. Getting 2 can be pretty cheap and be a USB based system. 8 in and out or more is firewire. 8 and expandable to 16 is another step up, 24 and expandible is another. That's what you pay for.

Archived